Radiator Thermometer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
Have read on forum that Radiator Therm.can be hired,does anybody know where.
Have tried hire shops in my area but no joy.
Cheers
Brian

Sponsored Links
What are you talking about? :LOL:

A - A Thermostatic Radiator Valve to control the temperature of the radiator?

B - A device capable of telling you how hot a radiator is?

C - A 'Thermal Imaging Camera' so you can visually SEE how hot it is/how cold it is, if that may be the case

or have I missed the point?

Be more specific.

If it is:-

A - you'd need to buy a new one, anything from £5-£50.

B - they range in price from £50 upwards

C - I have one, it cost me £3000 and I will gladly come round to your home, photograph every radiator in there and print off a portfolio of them, showing what temperatures they are etc. But I charge for this service, and I charge £200 plus travel.

If it is none of the above, please provide more detail!

........... and I will gladly come round to your home, photograph every radiator in there and print off a portfolio of them, showing what temperatures they are etc. But I charge for this service, and I charge £200 inc. Travel.

If it is none of the above, please provide more detail!

My van would use £200 in fuel getting to Manchester and back :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Hi Brian,

I'd recommend the ETI TN1:

31Sm6ZCOGpL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Currently available via Amazon for £17 including delivery.

It is as accurate as other IR thermometers costing many times more and is a convenient size/style for the task of balancing radiators.

Despite the Amazon title there is no laser targetting dot however don't be put off by this as they are all but useless for close-up temperature measurements because of the parallax errors due to their position.

A couple of tips regarding its use:

- The TN1 has a target:spot ratio of 1:1 which means that, for example, the measurement spot on a surface 5cm away will be 5cm in diameter. You want to therefore ensure the thermometer is close-up to the item being measured in order to ensure accurate targetting. This is one area where paying more money will give better ratios (however for balancing radiators this benefit is largely redundant).
- Put black insulating tape on the target being measured as, with metals in particular, the emissivity can vary significantly which will affect the accuracy of IR thermometers. Like most, the TN1 is set to an emissivity of 0.95 by default (this can be changed), which corresponds very closely to that of black insulating tape. Furthermore, the tape ensures consistenty across all radiators.

Practice a bit first to ensure you are getting accurate readings. You are aiming to get the highest reading possible as this necessarilly corresponds with the most accuracy. You'll soon get the hang of positioning to get the same accurate reading over and over.

There's plenty of discussion in this recent thread which might be of interest (the focus on balancing occurs further down the thread).

Good luck!

Mathew

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back