Radiators cold and noisy popping sound when heating on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:oops:

Hello All,

Your advice please!!

3 radiators cold downstair cold including feed pipe. The same upstairs 3 radiator cold too. The system is an oil feed system with expansion tank in the loft. When the system first switches on there is a popping/banging noise as-though there is air circulating. I had the oil boiler serviced in April and the engineer said he had noticed a noise and recommended at some point adding some Fernox MB1 if it bother us.

So approx 50% of the radiators, including the feed pipes in the house are cold and the system is noisey when first switched on.

I've tried bleeding the rads and water does flow. I checked the small tank in the loft (expansion tank??) does have water in it but it doesn't look great!

The heating has two zones (up and downstair), two blockages???

Cheers,

Mark

:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
have you any rads that are hot ?
are they fitted with trv's ?
how long the problem been going on ?

have you any rads that are hot ?
are they fitted with trv's ?
how long the problem been going on ?

Thanks for the swift reply.

Yes, the other 50% are getting nice and hot.

Yes, all fitted with valves, and tried screwing them all the way in and out again and giving them a very light tap.

In the last couple of weeks. Since switching the system on for winter really.

Sponsored Links
ONLY PUSH the pin :!: do not pull it up

Thanks for the advice.

Some further info.

It's the radiators furtherest area both up and downstairs that are affected.

The boiler seems to be cutting out prematurely (overheating) to get to working need to raise the internal boiler stat

I'm not convinced the pump is making the right noise.

The question:

Even though the pump is working, is it possible an internal pressure leak is present, causing poor circulation :?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back