Radiators cold at the bottom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an issue at a property I have recently purchased. Many of the radiators are much colder at the bottom than the top.

There are no air issues, and I have tried balancing them as most information on the internet seems to suggest. However, this does not resolve the issue.

What other likely causes are there?

The boiler and system is quite cold (Boiler is a floor standing Potterton Kingfisher).

Could a new pump resolve the issue?

Sponsored Links
your problem may be sludge or a build up of crap in the system that is stopping the circulation of water in the rad.
drain a rad , take it off the wall and into the garden by a drain.hold one end higher than the other and wash through the bottom holes with a hose to clean it out, slapping/hitting the bottom as you do it to dislodge crap.put it back on the wall, see if that clears it for that rad i.e. heats up more evenly with heating on
if this is too much bother or beyond what you,re prepared to do get some one in to do it .
you may be paying for a powerflush

Hot at top only implies too low a flow rate.

That could be caused by a pump failing or general blocki g due to sludge.

Best to have a pro to diagnose exactly what.

But be aware many will jump at the change to quote you £400 to do a power flush. That MAY not be essential!

Tony

Sponsored Links
You could start with a simple cheap DIY job.

Give it a chemical clean with Sentinel X400.

Bale all the mud out of the expandsion tank first and sponge it clean with the float tied up, then drain at least a bucketful before you add the chemical and untie the float.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back