Radiators hot downstairs, cold upstairs. Need help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Really wanting to see if someone can help me. I have so much trouble with my boiler and heating system over the last year.

I have a Grant combi boiler, oil fired. Its less than 10 years old and has been regular serviced etc. The house has 2 individual thermostats, one for downstairs and upstairs.

About 4 months ago, the heating and the hot water stopped working. Called plumber and he came out. Discovered the system had drained itself, put this down to a leaky fitting on the expansion vessel. Also discovered that a small circuit board was burnt out, so was replaced by a different engineer (worked for grant), and the boiler fired up and everything looked fine.

However a few nights ago we turned on the heating, downstairs radiators warm, upstairs cold. Hot water upstairs has never been effected, but the radiators will not heat up. Tried turning off the downstairs thermostat, and turned up the upstairs up full. Makes no difference at all.

Really don't want to get plumber out again as its costing me a fortune. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is the upstairs thermostat turned up? Do you know where your zone valves are located?

Nathan

Hey. No Im not too sure where they are, any easy way to find them? Also, what exactly do they look like? Ive had the thermostat up full, makes no difference

Sponsored Links
Yes there is water in them, first thing I tried was bleeding them, water coming out

Someone suggested they might be behind a removable panel in cupboard or something like that, cant think where as Ive had a look

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back