Radiators in series not heating up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have an odd arrangement of radiators in one bedroom of my house. There are three radiators in a bay window and they are plumbed in series! Hot water enters the right one, then there's a bit of pipe between 1 & 2, then a bit of pipe between 2 & 3 and then the exit valve on the left. The thing is that only the right hand radiator gets properly hot. The middle one gets quite warm and the left one is cold. After being on for ages the middle and left ones heat up a bit further but never get as hot as the right, or the rest in the house.
Is there any remedy for this, or do I just have to put up with it until I can re-plumb them in parallel like normal? Both valves are fully open BTW and they are on a zone valve and control system so call for heat as and when needed.

Sponsored Links
Have you tried bleeding each individual radiator of air?

Do these radiators get hot if you turn off all the other rads in your house?

What speed is the pump set to? Maybe if you speed it up you will get better circulation through these rads.

I have bled all the rads, hasn't improved them. I gave them a good long bleed to try and force through any airlocks, but there was no air.
I'll try just running them by themselves sometime today if I can, see if that helps.
The pump is on top speed.

Sponsored Links
You probably just need to balance the system...read the FAQs, your radiator setup is not unusual for a bay window.

Try fitting Danfoss RA-G high flow radiator valve with either Danfoss high flow balancing valve on return connection or fit a right angle bend here to maximise flow. Worked very well for me.

You miss the point. When I experienced the same problem as the OP I read the thread some weeks ago looking for some guidance on possible solutions. The posts though appreciated did not provide this and I had to work out the answer myself. I posted what had worked for me so that others looking for an answer either now or in the future might benefit from what I found effective. Hope this was being helpfull but if not, pleased I at least gave some people an opportunity to mock/ laugh.

@ionlyask , it's just the way you answered, as if you are giving the OP the answer.

If you have a tip or solution then of course fire it up, that's what the forum is for but you would offer the advice in a new post and maybe link to the old post, not post the answer within a 6 yr old post. It's just forum etiquette that's all and why the post would have flashed you up a red warning at the bottom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back