Radio/Air Con keeps turning on (MK II Seat Cordoba)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. Just to confirm that the previous thread(coil pack related) which turned out to be a spark plug has been completely resolved. Engine light turned off and car driving well.

Car test tomorrow, so hopefully good news!!

A strange thing has started happening now though. My radio comes on, after I've turned off the engine and removed the key. Air con and radio actually. I have to remove the fuse to stop it from happening. This is a MK II Seat Cordoba with the LCD display screen.

Not sure if it's a car test issue though, but annoying.

Also, and finally, My key fob takes a long time to open the central locking. When I press the fob, the diode on the key lights up but it sometimes takes 30 to 60 seconds of pressing before the car opens, and since the key doesn't manually open the car(locks must've been changed by former owner), I'm worried about changing the battery in the fob. Because the fob then needs to be reset, and I've heard all sorts of stories about them not working properly. But also, since the diode in the fob works when I press it, I wondered would changing the battery even be the issue!?

Any tips? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
C'mon Tim give us something simple :p
Apparently this is quite common, and requires a repair / replacement to the radio unit......I got this from a Cupra forum - Nowt to do with me!
Apparently, leaving a cassette tape in place can help things here, if you have one.
Regarding the key fob, I think you have to try a new battery first.....although the led lights up, that's no guarantee of the transmission strength. Personally I've never had a fob fail when doing this, but I do put the new battery in as quick as I can.
Good luck with the test!
John :)

Car passed the test which was great news. The tester told me that the CV boot on the front left side will need attention and he wouldn't leave it longer than a couple of months?

The radio/air con came on during the test(as I predicted) but it isn't a test issue! Also, I was pleasantly surprised to get the test offered for free because I had been waiting longer than usual for my appointment!! All in all, a win, I reckon!! :)

Nice one Tim, that's great news!
As for the CV boot, the original SEAT ones do seem to be a little inflexible, if I recall.
Replacements are available that stretch over the joint but in your case it should be possible to split the CV from the driveshaft, leaving the driveshaft in the gearbox. Not the easiest but do-able ......the bottom swivel joint connecting front hub to wishbone has to come adrift.

Sponsored Links
Thanks John. This CV boot business will be beyond my limited scope I think. I suppose I could drop it in to the local breakers who have started fitting and servicing too recently. I doubt it would be a big expense anyway! At least I hope not! Is there any reason to get it done sooner rather than later, or will it be ok to just do it before the next car test in 10 months!! ;)

If the grease is allowed to spray out, the joint will fail in a fairly short time....a new boot saves that.
Of course, it depends on how bad the boot actually is!
Keep an eye on the spring area above the wheel.....that's where the grease tends to splash.

Telling you about a CV boot, did you tell him the saga over the spark plugs ......... :cool:

Great you have things nailed down to the radio and even its working .........

Epic ............

Back