Railway sleeper wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to build a relatively small retaining wall out of new treated softwood railway sleepers. It will be max 6 courses high and 5 metres long. Not knowing anything about building I would appreciate any advice on:

1) Do I need to dig out a foundation for this wall - if so how deep?
2) How do I bed in and secure the first course - I was thinking of concreting in 100mmx100m fence posts every 100cm behind the wall and using them as fixed points to secure to.
3) I was then going to use timber fixings to screw each sucessive course to the one below - is this the best things to do?
4) Do I need to consider some sort of dampproof membrane behind the wall? Also, do I ned to leave gaps in the wall to release water pressure?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
we do these on a regular basis. we use the following method:-

concrete in vertical sleepers, in the same way you would fence posts, getting them all plumbed up on a couple of string lines. we rarely put more than a dry mix bed along the base for a foundation, just to level up the sleepers.

timberlock the horizontal sleepers to the vertical ones. make sure the horizontal ones overlap and timberlock these into each other as the rows go up.

with regards the drainage it depends on what type of soil you are on, but on free draining soil, its not an issue.

dont use a damp proof membrane, it will hold moisture against the wood.

dont use old sleepers, use new machined ones. nice and square, easy to work with.

Sponsored Links
Because you should be draining it properly anyway. ie perforated pipe in some form of gravel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back