"Railway sleepers" for a retaining wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's been suggested that I use railway sleepers to build a retaining wall, I've had a quote for this and the guy is talking about using tanilised posts which will be buried under the soil being retained. I queried the lifespan of the posts in such a position and was told they are guaranteed for 30 years, though they did suggest they could put gravel around them rather than soil. I'm not sure if I may end up doing the work myself but either way are tanilised posts suitable to be fully buried like this? I'm considering insisting on concrete posts instead.
TIA

Sponsored Links
30 years is way off the mark. Getting half of that would be good. Whenever i do them i use off cuts of sleeper which are still treated but larger diameter timber so should last a little longer.

I advise people they will only have a lifespan of 15 years max but because they are a good bit cheaper than a masonary wall people still go for it instead.

Concrete posts make it more difficult because you can screw into concrete like you can a timber post.

Concrete would be much better but consequently much dearer too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back