Railway sleepers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Mt first post on this forum and I have noticed someone has asked the question about railway sleepers before. But I have already used them in my garden...they are seeping creosote and tar. I have a daughter that has already ruined a few clothes by leaning onto the sleepers. I did hear somewhere that washing powder is good to get the creosote out.

Does anyone know of another way? Is there a paint you can apply????

Also I have tar seeping out of some of them again this is causing me problems. I would really appreciate it if anyone could give me some advice as to what I could do?

Regards
Danjo :?:

Sponsored Links
before they become sleepers they are left to soak in creosote for 2 weeks. my point is you wont get it off without altering them, could you not cover them in something?

just a thought

Bits of pond liner/heavy plastic stapled to the inside before backfilling also stops weeds poking there noses out

Sponsored Links
Second thought, try to back fill next to sleepers (behind lining) with gravel/hardcore especially if soil heavy. Aids drainage

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back