Rainwater barrel without hookup to drainage system.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

First thing is that I bave been lurking around on this forum for a few years as it is informative and entertaining. Anyway I am now going public as I have a plumbing question and the plumber I work with has gone to Aussie for a few months to stay with his parents.

Anyway, I just put on a new slate roof for a customer after fitting their kitchen. They have asked me to put up new rainwater guttering for them too. I don't usually undertake this sort of work and have a question. Their new kitchen extension means I will have to dig a new route to the inspection chamber as the old trap the downpipe ran to is now under a floor. I quoted them for this but instead they tell me they want the rainwater run only into a collection barrell which they would then use to water plants, wash cars etc. My question, and I hope it isnt a silly one, is "is this legal". They don't want me to dig up the section to lay any pipes it would be just the barrel. That is, there would be no overflow system into the town services. I am worried that if they forgot about, or didnt bother to use, this water and it began to overflow and cause flooding/subsidence etc it may all come back onto me at a later date. They say that this barrel only setup is approved by their BCO but I don't know if I should believe this as it doesn't seem right to me. Any advice is appreciated.
Dave

Sponsored Links
I would personally advice against this as these barrels fill up in no time & overflow (especially with our new wetter climate). The problem being it'll cause surface water around the barrel, which could freeze causing a hazard. It will need some sort of overflow. Is there room for a soak away as opposed to using the services?

There is but the customer won't have it. I think I'll just refuse the job as I agree with you that there could be future problems that I don't want to be associated with. Thanks.

They are not going to be washing the car or watering the garden in pouring rain, but the butt will still be filling, several times a day in heavy rain, sounds like they are real muppets.

Sponsored Links
Fit as requested, then put a disclaimer on your invoice to state:

'No formal drainage arrangements made for disposal of rainwater runoff from roof. Customer to provide own method for adequate disposal of runoff.'

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back