Raising a ceiling in an old house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, this is not another "can I do this without a professional/paying/building warrant" post. Secondly, I am only a DIYer so apologies in advance if my terminology is not entirely correct. I have included a drawing that I hope will help show what I am on about.

My friend has bought a house with a very low ceiling in the upstairs hallway. We've looked into this and the plasterboard is on the original joists from the roof, as would be expected. The roof above the bedrooms either side of the hallway have had collar ties fitted many years ago (20-30 looking at the wood used) so have normal height ceilings.

Off the back of the hallway, a dormer roof has been fitted to give a good height bathroom. The dormer roof is tied between the rafters and extends out the back. The original ceiling joists have then been cut, at the bathroom partition wall. We've checked, and the bathroom dormer was all carried out under the correct building warrant, certificate of completion etc.

He is now wanting to raise the ceiling in the hallway to the height of the collar ties and remove whats left of the original ceiling joists. Our question is, would he need a fresh building warrant, drawings, calculations etc, or can he approach the architect/structural engineer who did the original bathroom dormer work and see if they accounted for the original joists being fully removed. When you look at the house, I'm sure the only reason they were left in was to prevent having to redo another room (budget, time constraints maybe).

Hopefully I've explained myself correctly. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Attachments

• roof.jpg
    roof.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 124
Sponsored Links
It's a structural alteration and would require an application for approval. It might need a ridge beam.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back