Raising cold header tank to increase hot water pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to install a new cold water header tank in the loft (the old one is the original asbestos cement one). I'm going to build a frame so it's sat nice and high and will give good hot water pressure.

Now I understand the accepted wisdom to be that you insulate your header tank, but not underneath it, so some heat from the house will rise up through the ceiling and keep the water in the tank from freezing.

What on earth do you do if you have the tank raised? Just lag the whole thing about three times as much as normal and hope for the best?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
scubapete said:
I'm going to build a frame so it's sat nice and high and will give good hot water pressure.
You must have very poor flow for you to think that raising it will make a bug difference. :confused:

What on earth do you do if you have the tank raised?
The same as if you didn't raise it.

Just lag the whole thing about three times as much as normal and hope for the best?
No - you use the same amount of lagging. If you buy a reputable cistern (i.e. not from Wickes or the like) then it will come with a good quality "Byelaw 30" kit, which includes the lagging and the vent.

BTW, I can recommend Polytanks, which overcome the all-too-common ill-fitting lid problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back