Raising engineered wood on a concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am reflooring a room in an early 1980s Wimpey home with engineered wood. The floor has to match the height of the wooden flooring in an adjoining corridor.

I've stripped the carpet, and the concrete floor is covered in thin, hard, dark brown tiles glued to the concrete floor with black adhesive. The tiles are well glued down and in good condition, apart from where carpet grippers were nailed through, and cracked the edges.
I am aware that there is a chance these old floor tiles might contain asbestos, so I plan to leave them in place and just cover them. I have removed the broken pieces around the edge.
To get the floor to the correct height, I plan to lay 22mm tongue and groove OSB, appropriate underlay/insulation and floating engineered wood.

I had a couple of questions, if anyone can advise, please:

1. The tiles are in good condition, well bonded and there is no sign of moisture on the floor. I assume there's no need for a vapour barrier/dpm and I can just lay the OSB directly on top of the tiles?

2. Could I just float the OSB on the tiles? I would like to avoid having to start screwing down into the tiles and concrete floor, so I wondered if heavy T&G OSB would be stable enough if I just lay it on the floor. Alternatively, I've seen some examples on the internet of people using two thinner layers of OSB cross laid and screwed to each other to lock everything.

Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back