Raising White Goods

Seriously, I'd have thought timber - absorbs rather than transmits vibration
Think acoustics and how you would say build a drum or a guitar.
Mass/density are key ingredients in noise abatement and sound proofing.

However, there would be nowt wrong with say fitting a rubber mat under the washer to help dampen the vibrations.

Sponsored Links
A timber plinth would act as a damper to vibrations to the floor, less sound and vibration transmitted directly into the structure. It could act as a drum to airborne sound, I'm not convinced it would be significant though. If the room has a door, sound transmission and vibration through the structure would be more of a concern.

The room is a garage with a solid concrete floor. There is a door into the house, but it is a very solid fire door.

A timber plinth would act as a damper to vibrations to the floor, less sound and vibration transmitted directly into the structure. It could act as a drum to airborne sound, I'm not convinced it would be significant though. If the room has a door, sound transmission and vibration through the structure would be more of a concern.
Put a washing machine on a kitchen table and then put one on solid masonry and come back with the results.
No contest.

Oh and wear ear protection whilst it is on the table. You have no idea.

Sponsored Links
Not enough mass to make any difference.
When I lived in a semi, my half-witted neighbour decided to drill into a pcc lintel to fit a curtain pole. At ten at night.
My whole house was ringing like a bell, until I politely asked him where he wanted his drill inserting.

Sponsored Links
Back