Ravenheat 820/20 timer display problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a curious problem with the timer on my Ravenheat 820/20.

With the power switch on all the LCD sections on the display are active (i.e. 8888) so the display is unreadable. However with the power off the display works normally. All the timer functions and buttons are working normally. To that end at the moment I am programming the timer with the power off then when I switch it on everything works fine except for the corrupt display.

I now switch the power off whenever I need to confirm what the display should be saying or change the timer. Does anyone have any fixes for this (battery?), or is it a case for a new timer?

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
I would guess the charger circuit is faulty.

All I think you can do is to replace it !

But that would cost you money so I suppose you will carry on as you are doing.

Tony

Agile, thanks for the reply.

I presume from your reply that there is a rechargable battery within the timer and an internal charger circuit. Is the fault I describe indicitive of a fault with the charging of the battery?

I'm not averse to replacing the timer (despite the cost!) I would just like to be reasonably sure that it is actually the timer unit that is fault and it is not something external influencing the display before I part with my cash!

The timer has a backup battery. My guess is that a smoothing capacitor on the charging circuit has failed. But these would usually be considered as not repairable.

I cannot think of any other situation which would cause that problem apart from the timer itself.

BUT I have not seen your boiler !

I think you can use generic timers rather than buying one from the makers. Or you could buy a used one from an RGI as we usually retain them when we remove an old boiler. We remove a lot of Ravenheats!

Tony

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back