Rayburn hot water working but no central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an oil fired rayburn 880k regularly serviced. The hot water and cooker are working fine but the central heating is not coming on. The cooker is on manual at the moment 24/7, not on the timer but it does work fine on the timer. We have replaced the room thermostat in case it was that. The thermostat clicks to call for the heating but the boiler does not start up. Wr have a pressurised system and recently have been added i believe to an overhead water tower that feeds the village, I think until then we were on a mains pipe, could this be an issue? We have checked the pressure on the dial and this seems ok, also there are 2 valves and they both move so presume they are ok. Any thoughts on what the solution could be?

Sponsored Links
Check the electric supply from the programmer, then from the priority switch on the Rayburn, then the operation of the microswitch in the control valve, presume nothing, just check.
The water supply will have no effect on your problem.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replying, we called an electrician out to check the programmer, he pressed the boost button on it for the heating and the boiler typically started up i couldnt believe it. Anyway he said if it happened again we would need a new programmer, we have a horsmann multi programmer channel 1 for cooker2 for heating 3 for water, 1and 3 working fine. The next day, heating not coming on again even after doing factory reset and trying the boost. Re programmed the whole thing evening and guess what the heating has been on again. So will see what happens tomorrow but guess it must be the programmer with an intermittent fault?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back