RCBO keeps tripping - intermittently

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The RCBO at my flat keeps tripping - but intermittently. I had some extra sockets put in by an electrician in April 2008 and the RCBO started tripping intermittently. I reset it and it was OK till next time which could be a week.

Electrician came back and checked all new connections...all OK. Also, he tested circuit (ring main) Again all OK. I went on holiday for a few days and disconnected everything on the ring main and when I came back, the RCBO had tripped.

Electrician came back and disconnected everything he had added for one week...no trip. Then he reconnected each socket in turn - left for a week in each case - no trip. All his extra work was reconnected and no trips. That would be about mid May 2008

Suddenly, in the last 3 or 4 weeks, it has started tripping again and again it is intermittent. After a trip it will reset OK. Tonight, it tripped after 4 hours.

Anyone got any ideas please?

EDIT: This was due to a faulty RCBO. As soon as we took it back to dealers they threw it away and gave us the replacement unit!!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back