RCBO

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at a new 16 way consumer unit for my house. I was just wondering are RCBO a newer alternative to using mcb in unit? If they act as an mcb and rcd does that mean if all circuits are on an RCBO that rcd is not needed? Or are they really only for older units that have non RCD protected circuits
Was looking at a MK K7666SMET Amendment 3 Metal Consumer Unit. Are these ok?

Sponsored Links
RCBOs are the latest devices.

As you say, an MCB and RCD combined, one for each circuit so faults do not disconnect other circuits.

So no RCCB (what you called RCD) is not needed.

Ok thank you. If you have circuits protected with RCD (RCCB) then, the use of RCBOs is more a personal choice

Sponsored Links
Im sure Mk recently had issues with there rcbos and people here say there not what they used to be.
hagar seem to be worth costing up as an alternative

VM120K.jpg

Thats a 20 way Main switch board, only good for an all RCBO install.
Big with spare ways is good if you have the wall space, though if you do need 18 rcbos there not cheap.
I dont do domestic stuff, a few of the regulars do, i quess they will get back to you soon.
most good deals nowadays are on 2 rcd boards which come loaded with various mcbs.
rarely any deals if you opt all Rcbos, as you will need the main switch type enclosure like you showed and all rcbos.
Also a lot of good deals on BG 2 rcd boards at the moment, they look ok, as for quality, someone may advise shortly

Last edited:
I like room to expand, rather have blanks than worry i don't have enough space for new circuits. Looking at rcbos could cost an arm and leg. Maybe just a high integrity system and put smoke alarms, fridge etc on rcbos others on rcds

Yes i think i will opt for the VML120 and go RCBO route. Will be a gradual change as renovating a house, extending so can be done gradually while the old walls are stripped back to brick, ceilings down. Make life easy for the work required. Plenty of circuits can go in it too. How the house never burnt to the ground with current wiring i'll never know.Even a few bakelite sockets i might frame to remember how it was

Bought the Hager VML120 Design 10, will cost slightly more for protecting circuits than having RCCB and MCB but only by a few hundred££

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back