RCCB removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i am having trouble with a starbreaker rccb. The rccb will only reset sometimes, the switch itself "feels" broken as it only connects sometimes. If i turn off the power from the mains switch it still only stays on sometimes, the same as when power is flowing. I want to take off the rccb to check it with my local electrical shop to make sure that it is faulty and that i get the correct replacement. I need help on how to actualy remove the rccb from the bar. Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Do you have a means of isolating the mains before it enters the board ?

Have you suitable kit to test for dead before using tools, hands and teeth to remove the unit ?

I'm sorry if I seem negative, but please understand that your post does suggest that you don't have the knowledge and it would be far more sensible to call in a mtce spark.

If you can confirm you confidence and are sure you could do the work please post back and I'll run you through the procedure. As always a picture of the CU, surrounding area (to see mains head / separate isolation) and inside the CU (if your ok with removing cover) will help give you accurate information.

Rgds and happy (safe) new year.

Thanks for the reply. The board is a Starbreaker and i only have the big mains switch on the left of the board for issolation, if this is not ok then i don't have anything else. The power is on at the moment but if it was to trip for any reason then i is a problem to reset due to what feels like a partially broken switch. If i try several times then the rccb will switch on ok. The other times there is no resistance and not the usual click that it makes when it does switch back on.

You'll need to turn off the main switch. I assume this is a plug in busbar? If so you need to
remove the conductor from the top of the device
lever down the release catch under the device (using a screwdriver) and pull the bottom out from the busbar.

You say
I want to take off the rccb to check it with my local electrical shop to make sure that it is faulty

You'll be lucky. They will not be prepared to do that as they will not either
a) have the capability
or
b) want to take on the responsibility of giving a technical opinion.

Any electrical retailer/wholesaler is usually only able to respond like this:

Q: "Do you have a 32A Crabtree RCBO type number XXXXX?"

A: "Yes, here you are Sir, that will be £XXXXX"

If you don't have the correct test equipment your two options are to get an electrician to check it out and to sort it for you or go buy a new one and see if it sorts out the problem.

EDIT: Just read your later post. Are you saying that the RCCB you are talking about IS the main switch?? If so you have a problem re isolating the supply.
Can you post a picture of your board.??

Sponsored Links
If the mechanism will not reset with the Main switch OFF then I'd say it's bust!

Starbreaker boards can have two different types of RCD... a 3 module one and a 2 module one... (possibly both!!)

It's not a difficult job replacing a RCD in one of these boards, however you will have to make sure that you isolate the power (and check it's isolated), then remove the wirin, unclip the retaining clip and remove it from the dinrail and plug in busbar..

Do the reverse to fit...

THEN you will need to test it with a RCD tester which will simulate faults of varying magnitudes and time the response of the RCD.. these timings need to fall within the laid down limits as in BS7671 ---- pressing the test button is only one of the tests!!

As this is a LIFE SAVING device then I would recommend that you get it replaced by someone who can do it safely and test their own work.

Thanks for the replies. I think it is best to get a sparky to test and replace the rccb if needed. Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back