RCCB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Would like some clarification please. Would I be correct in asuming that I can not use an RCCB to provide RCD protection to ground floor sockets to satisfy BS7671? I am thinking that it either has to be an RCBO or an RCD to 61008-1? Any clarification would be grateful.

Sponsored Links
R.C.C.B.: Residual Current Circuit Breaker is an RCD which will cause disconnection of electrical supply should a residual current passing through the device exceed a specified level.

R.C.B.O.: Residual Current Circuit Breaker with Overload protection is an RCD which will cause disconnection of electrical supply due to residual current exceeding specified limits together with integral overload; overcurrent and short circuit protection associated with a miniature circuit breaker.

So bascily if it's going to be used as a main switch use a rccb if not just install a rcbo for the socket circuit you wish to protect, In place of the orginal MCB of cause.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the replies. Lectrician - ELCB? If I were to protect a ciruit on a bs3036 fuse, by running a 10mm t & e to an add on board from the 30A fuse, connecting the 10mm in the incoming supply of the rcd device and the ring on the outgoing & all earths connected together, would an RCCB satisfy the regs? Someone told it me it would because the fuse supplies overcurrent protection - ? Thanks

Sponsored Links
69er said:
Thanks for the replies. Lectrician - ELCB?
Earth leakage circuit breaker, the voltage operated ELCB was removed from the regs in the early 80s. The current operated ELCB is basically the same as an RCD. For details, see Wiring matters
If I were to protect a ciruit on a bs3036 fuse, by running a 10mm t & e to an add on board from the 30A fuse, connecting the 10mm in the incoming supply of the rcd device and the ring on the outgoing & all earths connected together, would an RCCB satisfy the regs? Someone told it me it would because the fuse supplies overcurrent protection - ? Thanks
Yes, also you may get away with 6mm t&e depending on its run.

Thanks again. Feel stupid - of course its an earth leakage circuit breaker (brain was not working) :oops: Have seen the old earth leakage switches on a job - had to replace it and more because was a TT installation. Became extinct in 81 I believe? Do you have to replace the old earth leakage devices ie is it mandatory? I use 10mm because ?I find it easier with regards to earth.Used to use 6mm but was taught to run a seperate 4mm earth - figured as 10mm has one in already I may as well use that. The furtherest I ever have to run it is approx 400mm.
PartPapproved - just bought one today thanks - got a bit of luck as the rep qouted us half the amount by mistake so when we got there we got it at half price! Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back