RCD Test button wont trip

The installation will be inspected and tested by a certified person once completed.
Bear in mind that, unless the qualified person is prepared to lie, then that is not a route to notification - and notification is a legal requirement of the building regs. Yes it's a pain, but that's how it is. What's worse is paying someone to do work (as it's cheaper than paying LABC fees) and watching them do work to a standard I'd be embarrassed by.

Sponsored Links
Im not an electrician but am fairly competant. I dont have any sophisticated test equipment other than a multimeter.

I would beg to differ, a competant person would not power up circuits in somebody elses house after swapping a consumer unit without prior testing!

Test equipment is readily available for hire, there is no excuse for not using it, even if you dont intend on notifying.. there is no excuse for not testing for safety.

You should stop doing consumer units in other peoples houses, if you arent willing to hire the test equipment, you are playing with other peoples lives.. do whatever you want in your home but what would you do if your work killed somebody else in their home?

You cannot show any kind of competancy in a court of law as you do not even have test results to present that can show the circuits were ever safe in the first place.

If you cannot identify a duff RCD, have you also ensured the main earth is correctly rated? and have you ensured the bonding wires to gas and water are also in place and adequately sized.

A certified electrician cannot sign off your work, they are signing off the work as their own, when it clearly is not.

That is why there is the notification route, where you can arrange an inspection before powering up circuits so you arent applying power to a dangerous setup, then after testing..

Being you are also doing this work in somebody elses house, I assume you must of swapped the tails over live also? or cut the seal on the fuse?

you also mention it had

I have just changed an old Wylex consumer unit for a new Excel 6 way with an already installed RCD in it.

Unless an RCBO install, shouldnt that be RCD's?

I am the home owner and safety is paramount otherwise i would have left the old CU in place.

The installation will be inspected and tested by a certified person once completed.

Thanks to those that have given useful advice

you are the home owner? yet you referred to the home as a "site" and that you arent there?

where are you then if you are the home owner and arent living in your own home?

if its doing up a house to sell or rent, then how do you propose to sell the house without certificates? lie?

I am the home owner and safety is paramount otherwise i would have left the old CU in place.

Thanks to those that have given useful advice

you are the home owner? yet you referred to the home as a "site" and that you arent there?

where are you then if you are the home owner and arent living in your own home?

if its doing up a house to sell or rent, then how do you propose to sell the house without certificates? lie?

Sponsored Links
The property is owned by me as previously stated in this post. I am thorough in what i do.

'I should stop doing consumer units in other peoples houses'......you should stop making comments if you cant read whats in front of you!

You should stop doing consumer units in other peoples houses ... Being you are also doing this work in somebody elses house ...
Whilst I agree in principle with almost everything you say in this post, I'm a bit confused by the above comments, given:
I am the home owner ...
Are you perhaps working on the basis of information from other threads which I've forgotten about?

The other point, which I made earlier, is that (whilst,as above, I generally agree with your comments), this horse has already bolted, so, at least as far as this present project is concerned, it's too late to deal with the door!

Kind Regards, John

The property is owned by me as previously stated in this post. I am thorough in what i do.

'I should stop doing consumer units in other peoples houses'......you should stop making comments if you cant read whats in front of you!

if you are thorough, why havent you hired the relevant test equipment prior to powering it up?

testing is being thorough, and why does your post read as if the consumer unit only has 1 RCD? to create the split did you use RCBOs for some circuits? do those work when you press the test button?

You should stop doing consumer units in other peoples houses ... Being you are also doing this work in somebody elses house ...
Whilst I agree in principle with almost everything you say in this post, I'm a bit confused by the above comments, given:
I am the home owner ...
Are you perhaps working on the basis of information from other threads which I've forgotten about?

The other point, which I made earlier, is that (whilst,as above, I generally agree with your comments), this horse has already bolted, so, at least as far as this present project is concerned, it's too late to deal with the door!

Kind Regards, John

He said it was his home, but referred to the home as a "site" and said he was not presently there.

So if he is not at home? where is he posting from, and who refers to their home as a "site"

Maybe he was at work at 12:43pm and was attempting to use electrician-speak about the location? On t'other hand, what I assume to be your less satisfactory interpretation obviously might be right! The last 24 hours or so seems to involved a fair bit of 'assuming' in this forum - maybe correct assumptions, but who knows?"

Kind Regards, John

No one is talking down to you.

IT'S FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY!!! and the home owner. :eek:

Andy

I was not alone in making that assumption lol.

Maybe I am incorrect, but lets hope so.. because I wouldnt like to think that this work is going on in somebody elses house.

Maybe I am incorrect, but lets hope so.. because I wouldnt like to think that this work is going on in somebody elses house.
Indeed. With no offence to you, I'd be happier if you were incorrect! - but you may well not be!

Kind Regards, John

Indeed. With no offence to you, I'd be happier if you were incorrect! - but you may well not be!

Kind Regards, John

No offence taken, id prefer to be incorrect.

while nobody wants to see anybody hurt or seriously injured.. people are in some respects responsible for what they do in their own home.

if they do a dodgy electrical installation, or gas installation and it goes wrong they only have themselves to blame, as they should not of undertaken it without adequate knowledge.

but to do this work in other peoples homes, if somebody else gets seriously injured or looses their home because its burnt down... they are an innocent victim, because in a lot of cases they dont know if the person is doing it correctly or not.. it relies on trust.

Even if somebody doesnt want to notify, at least hire the proper equipment to test it before powering up,or if its something being done regularly, buy even just a cheap 17th Edition tester with a calibration certificate.

Regulations are there for a reason, and while sometimes they are annoying to meet or require extra costs, their primary purpose is to protect us. So even if no notification is made its important they are kept to, in order to ensure safety.

hahahaaha.......'where was i posting from and why wasnt i there if its my home'.....what has that got to do with the issue that has been posted about????
Do you want to know the colour of my hair and my shoe size as well?

Thanks to those that have tried to be helpful.

No offence taken, id prefer to be incorrect. while nobody wants to see anybody hurt or seriously injured.. people are in some respects responsible for what they do in their own home. ... if they do a dodgy electrical installation, or gas installation and it goes wrong they only have themselves to blame, as they should not of undertaken it without adequate knowledge. but to do this work in other peoples homes, if somebody else gets seriously injured or looses their home because its burnt down... they are an innocent victim, because in a lot of cases they dont know if the person is doing it correctly or not.. it relies on trust.
I agree totally.
Even if somebody doesnt want to notify, at least hire the proper equipment to test it before powering up,or if its something being done regularly, buy even just a cheap 17th Edition tester with a calibration certificate.
Again, I totally agree. I personally have all the necessary test gear. What I do, and do not, notify is my busoness :)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back