RCD Test?????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
on an electrical certifcate it says RCD test and x1 & x5 how do i get them and what are they???????

Sponsored Links
you need to test a rcd with a rcd tester or multifunction tester 1,5 settings are tests to the breaking point of the rcd.

lets say a downstairs ring main is protected by a rcd, plug in your test at a socket go the the settings eg rcd time, 30ma x1 and press the test button the rcd will trip in milli seconds, then switch to rcd trip 30ma x1 and repeat this will give you a milliamp triping time repeat again at x5.
if require more info a good buy is a copy of the iee in site guide £15 Brown copy.

Sponsored Links
Should we be worried that you've replaced 30 CUs, but you don't know what an RCD tester is, not how to use it, nor what colour the current regs book is, nor even own a copy of the OSG?

sparky_uk04 said:
on an electrical certifcate it says RCD test and x1 & x5 how do i get them and what are they???????

Call in a proper spark, who will have the right equipment and know how to use it. Or take the City & Guilds 2391 - Test, Inspection & Certification course. You are aware, aren't you, that uncertified work automatically does not meet BS7671?

Iam 19 i am in training i was just askin so i could learn i have put many mains boards on but my boss tests every thing hes a ****** and dont tell me anything so i have to learn at college are i find its easyer to learn things fast on here

sparky_uk04 said:
Iam 19 i am in training...

Why didn't you say? Although you'll get a better response (in life generally) if you take a bit more care over your communication.

There is a series of small books, for around a tenner apiece, written by Brian Scaddan and published by Newnes. They are easy to read and cover most of what you need to know. Try searching Amazon.co.uk for "Brian Scaddan" and you'll get the whole list.

Another good book is "The Electricians Guide..." By John Whitfield and you can find a lot of it online at tlc, HERE

Hope that helps.

From www.technicaltrainingsolutions.co.uk

Publications
Pocket sized for ease of use, they cover the subject areas in an interesting and informative way, without unnecessary technical theory.
The books are written by experts in their fields in an easy to understand language and are complemented with drawings and illustrations.
Available now

Electricians’ Guide to Good Electrical Practice (New Edition)
An indispensable reference book for help and guidance on the 16th edition of the IEE’s Wiring Regulations (BS7671). The book is approved for use during the 2381 City & Guilds examination, and is essential reading for all those involved in the specification, installation, maintenance or inspection and testing of electrical installations.

Electricians’ Guide to Inspection and Testing
This book explains how electrical installations should be inspected and tested. It is an essential reference book for all those studying for the 2391 City & Guilds examination. The book describes and explains the checks required during the visual inspection, and provides guidance on how the electrical tests should be carried out. Explanatory drawings are included.

Prices: £6 each or £10 for both books

Please make cheques payable to 'Technical Training Solutions LLP'
And send together with your name and address to:
Technical Training Solutions, Regus House, Victory Way,
Admirals Park, Dartford, Kent DA2 6AG

i was on ebay lookin for books but thanks for the sites to look at i will go look at them

Plus, of course, a copy of the regs, the OSG, and the GNs, all obtainable from the IEE.

The Electricians Guide, by John Whitfield is a good one - you can get it from TLC or Amazon.

And you might well find Paul Cooks Commentary on the IEE Wiring Regulations contains useful information behind the theory that you'll be studying. IEE or Amazon.

And much as I hate to plug them, I've not seen it but I read consistent good reports of NICEIC's Snags & Solutions book.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back