RCD Tripping on New Consumer Unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening All.

I've just moved the power circuits from an old Wylex board to a new consumer unit. We've had loft rooms created and the light circuit upstairs consists of low voltage spots in four rooms. The bathroom has four spots, the main bedroom eleven, the landing two and the second bedroom eight. I've had these lights connected to the old board and they worked fine.

Now, on the new split load CU the upstairs lights (which are on a 6A MCB on the non RCD protected side of the board) trip out the RCD!! They dont trip their own fuse. As I say, they were working fine on the old board and all I've done is move the cable on to the new CU!

I've not checked all the JB wiring as yet, though I have check a couple, but they were working fine, so I'm a little confused as to why they should make the RCD trip when they are not same side of the split CU. Any suggestions? Everything else is connected and working fine.

Sponsored Links
have you connected the new circuits to the correct neutral bar?

Do they trip the RCD staight away?
If so, try disconnecting (say) the ones in the bathroom first and trying again.
Repeat with other lights in turn to see if you can pin it down to one of them.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back