RCDs and consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Trying to work out if need a new consumer unit, if so will get an electrician.

Have Hager Metal 16 way, has a 4 way /DIN 63A RCD. Can this be changed for a 2 way identical unit and free up 2 slots?

Also when the electrician was fitting a new circuit he wants to fit a new sized MCB (MT120 B20), the rest of the MCBs were Hager Type 2 M3 M1XX, he had to trim the MCB to fit, he stated he couldnt get old style Hagar MCBs. If they are DIN sized can we change all of them to the newer configuration, surely its the busbar position that made it difficult for him to fit the slightly different MCB and changing them all will alter this.

We have an isolator.

Or is it worth just getting a new CU, It seems quite cramped in the Hagar compared to other boxes - high busbar, not much room above and lots below.

Cheers Duncan

PS As a non electrician I find this site fascinating and very imformative, and is the best example of a forum I have seen. Im an A+E consultant and it exceeds anything we have in medicine.

Sponsored Links
Duncan P said:
PS As a non electrician I find this site fascinating and very imformative, and is the best example of a forum I have seen. Im an A+E consultant and it exceeds anything we have in medicine.

Duncan,

Would DIY surgery be a good idea ?

Bernard
Sharnbrook

I've always fancied a bit of cheap cosmetic surgery Bernard. :D I think Duncans best bet would be to be guided by his electrician who has seen the instalation.

jj4091 said:
I've always fancied a bit of cheap cosmetic surgery Bernard. :D I think Duncans best bet would be to be guided by his electrician who has seen the instalation.

I agree about the electrics, cannot comment on the need for cosmetic surgery.

But also consider that bending bits to fit a MCB into a space it doesn't fit is not always a good idea. Bent bus bars are fine if the bend was right first time but have a couple of attempts at bending and straightening at the same point and the metal is weakened and its conductivity is reduced.

Bernard
Sharnbrook

Sponsored Links
DIY surgery is fine if you know what youre doing and it doesnt hurt. You dont have to be a qualified doctor to operate on a person as long as that person agrees and knows youre not a doctor. Animals can only be operated on by a qualifed vet however. I know you lads have got part P, and I never said i would do the job myself.

Anyway back to the question, are you going to help or just cos I stupidly admitted my job will that exclude me - I have seen the effects of electricity in dead electricians and wouldnt put my family at risk.

Sorry Duncan but I do not really understand what your problem is,why do you require 2 extra slots on your consumer unit? It does not sound as if there are any safety issues here.P.S surely there is room for a little light hearted banter while we try to help you. :D

Duncan P said:
Anyway back to the question, are you going to help or just cos I stupidly admitted my job will that exclude me - I have seen the effects of electricity in dead electricians and wouldnt put my family at risk.

Have Hager Metal 16 way, has a 4 way /DIN 63A RCD. Can this be changed for a 2 way identical unit and free up 2 slots?

If you only need two extra slots for future expansion and a 2 module RCD can be fitted in place of the existing 4 module RCD then you do not need to change the consumer unit. ( sorry but I do not have enough knowledge of Hager to say it can or can't be done ).

Electrically there is no problem mixing different makes in one consumer unit It is normally the bus bar that is the problem when mixing different makes but some have different dimensions for the part that protrudes through the front panel.

Bernard
Sharnbrook

From what I've concluded, the CU is an old type and the sparks had to bespoke a modern hager MCB to fit.

That to my mind is naughty and shouldn't have been done.

Since a 12w split load hager unit is sub £35 and each MCB is only £4 I would suggest you go the change out route and update both the CU and all the MCB's

Look here for ex VAT prices http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/HGVECOS66slash6H.html

Material costs will be less than £100 with further cost for new colour tails and possible extra costs for earth update / size upgrades.

On a positive side, you end up with a nice new CU, some spare ways for future use and a shiney Part P certificate- all should be seen as assets from a 'value to the home', prospective

cheers lads, now if I can give you any advice anytime feel free to ask, maybe we could set up a DIY minor injury advice section.

Had a lucky lad in 2 weeks ago, 12 years age, stuck his tongue into an empty light socket, got thrown accross his bedroom, and had two 5mm diameter burns to his tongue, otherwise well!!!!, for fxxks sake - he wont do that again.

Duncan P said:
cheers lads, now if I can give you any advice anytime feel free to ask, maybe we could set up a DIY minor injury advice section.

have already suggested under General Discussion

Had a lucky lad in 2 weeks ago, 12 years age, stuck his tongue into an empty light socket, got thrown accross his bedroom, and had two 5mm diameter burns to his tongue, otherwise well!!!!, for fxxks sake - he wont do that again.

Some people do some very odd things don't they. Candle bulb per rectum when lit was fine, till the glass broke

Have you seen the report on the Turkey Test for defibs and their safety on a wet floor ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back