RE: cutback adhesive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
having recently moved into our first home we are trying to decorate.

In the living were some 9 x 9 black tiles that i removed from the floor before being told that they contain asbestos. :evil: abestos is annoying.

the tiles came up easy anyway very unlikely any dust became airbourne. I can dispose of this at the tip anyway luckily.

My issue now is the floor is covered in black adhesive which could also contain asbestos :) it is never ending.

The adhesive is currently still exposed I plan on just putting some timbermate underlay and laminate over the top.

Is there really any risk in the cutback adhesive being left there? The stuff doesn't come off easy even with a straper not sure how it could become airbourne otherwise.

Does anyone know if it poses a risk just being walked on while we decorate?

Reading about asbestos online is frustrating, some places you read about it like a single dust particle is going to give you cancer others that the risk is really low. Personnally I feel the latter is more the case but i am not an expert

Sponsored Links
If the tiles contain asbestos, or even if you suspect they contain it, then you must dispose of them correctly.

Best thing to do would be to get in touch with a company dealing in this type of work. Ask them to inspect one of the tiles and give their opinion. If it does contain asbestos they will be able to dispose of it for you correctly. They will also advise you on your question about the adhesive.

DO NOT JUST DUMP THEM UNTIL YOU HAVE WRITTEN EVIDENCE OF WHAT THEY CONTAIN!

You will possibly face a massive fine if they do contain asbestos and you are caught trying to just drop them off at the tip.

Sure they were black and not very dark brown?
I had some thin, dark brown tiles that were like Bakelite on the floor in my current place.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the replies.

They were definitely black, I have already asked at the tip. I just need to double bag the tiles and tape them up so they are sealed and they will take them for me.

I was more worried about the adhesive actually we have been walking on it the last few days. It would be a nightmare to remove from the floor I was just going to leave it and stick my laminate underlay over te top.

I was curious how hazardous it is having it exposed while we decorate. it is a 30m^2 room and it is stuck pretty good I don't have the time patients or money to do anything remove it. Any one know if there is any great risk in just leaving it there as it is? I don't plan on grinding or doing anything to the floor other than to cover it.

well on the basis that you don't have the time, patience or the money to do anything about it and you find asbestos annoying then away you go and give us a call in forty years!

You seem intent on leaving it, and just waiting for some one to say that it's fine...... :rolleyes:

The least you should do, is cover it all over with a floor leveller, this should seal it fairly well.

guess your right i was hoping for an answer that new a little more about the actual risk and how likely it is to be a problem. From some further reading I actually think the level of exposure would be minimal or near nothing considering it is stuck to the floor and will be covered

The risk of developing anything asbestos related is more aimed at people working in high levels of the stuff.

"The risk of asbestosis is minimal for those who do not work with asbestos; the disease is rarely caused by neighborhood or family exposure. Those who demolish buildings that contain asbestos may be at significant risk, depending on the nature of the exposure and precautions taken."

"Lung cancer causes the largest number of deaths related to asbestos exposure. The incidence of lung cancer in people who are directly involved in the mining, milling, manufacturing and use of asbestos and its products is much higher than in the general population."

"Mesothelioma is a rare form of cancer that most often occurs in the thin membrane lining of the lungs, chest, abdomen, and (rarely) heart. About 200 cases are diagnosed each year in the United States. Virtually all cases of mesothelioma are linked with asbestos exposure. Approximately 2 percent of all miners and textile workers who work with asbestos, and 10 percent of all workers who were involved in the manufacture of asbestos-containing gas masks, contract mesothelioma.

People who work in asbestos mines, asbestos mills and factories, and shipyards that use asbestos, as well as people who manufacture and install asbestos insulation, have an increased risk of mesothelioma. So do people who live with asbestos workers, near asbestos mining areas, near asbestos product factories or near shipyards where use of asbestos has produced large quantities of airborne asbestos fibers."

get a floor sander,dont worry about a mask AS you say its minimal. :rolleyes:

guess your right i was hoping for an answer that new a little more about the actual risk and how likely it is to be a problem.

Did you look at either of the links I posted?

Good luck with your artex, AIB and cement products that you will doubtless come across as you sort out your new home - none of which are a problem if you treat them properly.

The risk of developing anything asbestos related is more aimed at people working in high levels of the stuff.

The best misunderstanding so far!

:D :D :D

I won't be touching it. The only risk it has is if i try to remove it and leaving it covered has nearly no risk. Everyone comes into contact with asbestos at some point it unavoidable as they used to love the stuff but I should be more worried about the cigarette and pint I will be having later :)

thanks for your help ;)

The ciggy and pint afterwards are self inflicted.

Asbestosis isn't and I'm sure your wife and kids wouldn't like a dose of that.
Get a professional opinion if you have any respect for your family.

having recently moved into our first home we are trying to decorate.

In the living were some 9 x 9 black tiles that i removed from the floor before being told that they contain asbestos. :evil: abestos is annoying.

the tiles came up easy anyway very unlikely any dust became airbourne. I can dispose of this at the tip anyway luckily.

My issue now is the floor is covered in black adhesive which could also contain asbestos :) it is never ending.

The adhesive is currently still exposed I plan on just putting some timbermate underlay and laminate over the top.

Is there really any risk in the cutback adhesive being left there? The stuff doesn't come off easy even with a straper not sure how it could become airbourne otherwise.

Does anyone know if it poses a risk just being walked on while we decorate?

Reading about asbestos online is frustrating, some places you read about it like a single dust particle is going to give you cancer others that the risk is really low. Personnally I feel the latter is more the case but i am not an expert
Adhesive is likely to be bitumen and does not contain asbestos, and even tiles which contain it are not always a health risk if it is bonded in.
You got your analysis from the tip???????

Sponsored Links
Back