re-doing whole kitchen, best order to do things in?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to completely re-do my kitchen, replacing the units, skimming the artex ceiling, painting and tiling the walls, and re-laying the floor floor (either tiles or vinyl).

Is there a best order to do things? I'm thinking ceiling first, then replace units, then walls, then floor? I leave floor till last in case it gets damaged doing the other jobs (like replacing the units and moving the white goods in and out).

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Ceiling
Electrics- lights, sockets, extractor / hood, cabinet lighting, oven and hob
Plumbing
Floor
Base units
Wall units
Tiles
Extractor
Worktop
Sink
Hob

Cover the floor with packaging cardboard from the kitchen units or sheets of hard board

Ceiling
Electrics- lights, sockets, extractor / hood, cabinet lighting, oven and hob
Plumbing
Floor
Base units
Wall units
Tiles
Extractor
Worktop
Sink
Hob

Cover the floor with packaging cardboard from the kitchen units or sheets of hard board

Pretty much as Chri5 says but.........

remember to include painting the walls!

Sorry Chri5, couldn't resist ;) :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Don't to get wiring sorted above ceiling for lighting, and feeds down the wall to the switches.

A double light switch, for celing and under cabinet lighting is a prudent idea.

If you must have inset ceiling spots / gu10 style go for the newer High powered led units. They might be £120+ (4) units, but you save that by not having 8 old types via less fitting costs and much better energy cost.

Good lighting in a kitchen is the cherry on top of a good job. Always consider the depth of wall cabinet when positioning lights, to near a wall means light lost on the beam pattern. There's no point in aluminating the top of wall cabinets :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back