Re-felt small flat roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As a part 2 to my roof leaking issues, the small flat roof over my porch is also leaking. The roof is small, probably 1x2m max:

It looks like T&G over 2" joists with felt on top. There's felted beams/joists (similar size) on top of the roof as well, I'm not sure what they do, but I suspect they might be part of the problem.

There's water getting through the T&G (thankfully I've not put the pasterboard up yet). The felt is old, and the felt on one of the beams looks like it's recently been replaced.

I really don't think I can afford a pro to do this work, especially if I'm going to have the work done on the chimney as well.

I've got a couple of rolls of felt (originally intended for a shed). I'm guessing this could be used at a pinch. I was going to strip everything off, put some 12mm OSB down on top of the T&G if necessary and then felt over the top with the new stuff. Is this asking for trouble? Is shed felt good enough for a small porch as above?

What else would I need, I'm guessing a tin of adhesive. Got some tacks from when we did the shed. Any thoughts on how I'd get a decent seal up against the wall, it's difficult to see in the photo, but it looks like the felt itself is just bonded up under the render.

Sponsored Links
Why don't you give yourself the day off doing it and pay a roofer to do a proper job? Get three quotes, see what you think. It's a small roof so won't cost a fortune. You'll get a guarantee and it will look the part.

If you do it yourself then it won't last and you'll end up getting a roofer in anyway. nothing personal my friend. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back