re-glazing house bricks.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Is it possible to re-glaze a house brick? and what will it look like and will it do the job? as in stopping it becoming more porous, how long will the re-glaze last.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Glazing is done in the kiln when the bricks are made and can't be applied afterwards

Do you actually mean glazing though? A photo may help

Sponsored Links
Glazing is done in the kiln when the bricks are made and can't be applied afterwards

Do you actually mean glazing though? A photo may help

Hi, Thanks for your reply. The glaze I imagine will be like a waterproof sealant? but will last longer! The builder said my bricks would look shiny. I tried to Google but found nothing. Hopefully when I receive my quote with full details I may have a better understanding.

Thanks

Face glazed bricks - as used in 19th Century Asylums :mrgreen:

Thanks....I have these bricks on the front of the building. I live at the coast, and have been told due to sea air and corrosion this is why these bricks like in "asylums" were used.

Thanks ;)

Face glazed bricks - as used in 19th Century Asylums :mrgreen:

Thanks....I have these bricks on the front of the building. I live at the coast, and have been told due to sea air and corrosion this is why these bricks like in "asylums" were used.

Thanks ;)
I was having a jest ;) I`ve seen face bricks on buildings that were salt glazed in the kiln . I actually thought the asylum ones were tiles , and when I wanted some for a Victorian toilet project , I visited the demolition site of the East Sussex Asylum ( as it was ) only to find that the smooth brown glazed tiles were solid brick ! . Also the roof tiles were too red for another project of mine :evil: The stuff was going really cheap too . Still I had a day out @ nearby Eastbourne

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back