Re pointing brickwork inside fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have recently knocked out all the very old render from within the fireplace to reveal the lovely original brickwork, however most of the mortar between the bricks is very brittle so I was going to remove this too (about 10-15mm depth) so that I can re point them up. I was just wondering what kind of mortar/mix I would need to use as I am going to be getting a multi fuel stove installed, therefore it will be extremely hot around this area and I wouldn't want to mortar to crack/break etc.

Any advise would be extremely welcome
Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
It's used as mortar for laying fire bricks so presume it'll also work for pointing. But I've never done so, so maybe someone with experience will tell.

However, if you have reasonable (and recommended) clearances between your stove and the brickwork then "extremely hot" should not enter into the equation and bog-standard pointing mortar will be adequate.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back