Re-render advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve not found a definitive answer to my questions through my usual lurking so I’m posting this up.

Just in the process of moving house in to a 4 bed semi in Gloucestershire. The place we’re moving to needs some re-rending work. The render to the side and back of the house are cracked and blown. On the side, (gable end c75sq M), there is cracking along two brick string courses at about ground floor celling height and first floor celling height. The back of the house is cracked all over and sounds hollow in places. I’ve not got the measurements for the back, but I’ll try to get them and update this thread when I do. The front of the house is natural stone which is in good condition

We’ve been told that “pit sand” has been used which wasn’t the correct sand for the job. The house has been looked at by a structural engineer (as there is some cracking inside too) and we’re assured that the only movement is natural movement in the property ie settlement from when it was built. It’s 25-30yrs old.
So far I’ve had 2 quotes and my questions really are as follows;
• What is the best course of action to fix this? By best I mean most cost effective in the long run (10+ years). One quote has been to remove all of the lose render only, fix wire mesh to all surfaces, and then re-render everything. Wire mesh would be needed as the render won’t bond to the remaining painted sections. The second person suggested removing all render (lose on not), that wire mesh wasn’t needed, and that all surfaces would then be re-rendered. Both were going to use sand/cement.
• How much should this cost? Both quotes so far are approaching £6k including the scaffold, skip and VAT which I thought were a little high.
• I was planning to have this work done after new windows are fitted, to ensure all reveals are rendered correctly. Is this right?

My other thoughts are that wire mesh will add to the cost for the extra material, and again for the labour to fix it although it may make hacking off a little quicker. It could also potentially leave old render behind the new, which may have some moisture in it which could then potentially fail in the future.
Could taking off all of the render including the good stuff could damage the external skin of brick/block or lintels around windows etc.
I’d appreciate some sound advice from those with experience as I’m not sure of the best way forward here.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Surely your quotes would specify what materials the plasterers intend to use?

I have little knowledge of modern renders but if a S&C or S&L render has failed in patches its sometimes an indicator that all the render should come off back to bare masonry. Failed render after 30 years with only minimal thermal movement seems like 1. bad preparation 2. bad application 3. a sand heavy mix.

Without seeing pics its almost impossible to comment - pics of the exterior, and the interior cracks would help.

Back in the day until now we have used whatever sand was available - if it was washed and clean it went into the mix, & then on to the wall. Never had a call back over the mix.

Thanks Ree,

To be sure I would get all of that in a quote before I started but right now I just have 2 prices for the work and a conversation about what was needed.

My biggest question really is about going over existing render with wire mesh. Is it wise to go over the sound stuff and would this give a better finish than painstakingly removing everything? Can't this fail in the future meaning a difficult repair if wire mesh has been introduced over the top?

I'll try and get some pictures in the next few days.

From what you have told us it seems to me like a no brainer you have two quotes one involves taking just the lose off the other one is for taking it all back to brick and rerender the whole lot ,both quotes are the same money wise so have the lot taken off and rerender

• Thanks
Reactions: ree
My question on the mesh was to find out if it was S/S or not.

If not, they don't know what they are doing.

You need to look at their previous work too.

Hi again, a picture as requested. The back of the house has a lot of cracking but the side, which is probably 75% of the area in question, has just 2 damaged areas. The surveyor has said that there are brick string courses that the render has come away from. I think the back catches the weather but the side is more sheltered.

For reasons of cost I'm considering re-rendering the whole of the back, but just cutting our the two damaged sections on the gable wall. Thoughts? Thanks.

View media item 89508

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back