Re: Rendering a cellar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Could anyone help me please, I want to render a sand stone internal cellar wall (12inch thick)can you or do you need to use a stabilising solution (yes there is efflorescence) and then a mortar based water proofer.
I use the cellar as a woodworking workshop, it is well ventilated there is an input fan and a blower fan...
The all the walls were previously coated with some sort of bitumen and then painted (before us), and this is the only wall with a problem, it has blown in some places 30% ish, which I have stripped back to stone with a large wire cup brush on my angle grinder, What would be the best way to proceed,
Any advice would be helpful. Thank you!!

Sponsored Links
Having removed all traces of bitumen, you need to firstly treat the surface with an "anti-sulphate" solution to neutralise the groundwater chlorides. Typically you would treat with "anti-sulphate" dilute 50:50 with water and the following morning before applying a polymer modified render, you apply the "anti-sulphate" neat by spray or brush. This forms the basis of any effective cementitious under ground waterproofing system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back