Re-roof as part of loft conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm starting a loft conversion in a victorian terrace house.

as part of the conversion i will be reroofing the front pitched roof that will stay as is.

I will be replacing the old felt with a tyvek and new artificial slates. However i'm getting a bit confused with the different views including that of my building inspector. Rafters are about 84mm depth.

- My contractor wants to have 50mm gap underneath the tyvek then 50mm PIR and then 30mm foil. (with 25mm gap either way)

- My building inspector is happy with only 25mm gap underneath the tyvek if i counterbatten from the outside. (parapet walls in both sites so the slightly raised front it should be hardly noticed)

- What i would like to do and based on the tech specs that i have read on the tyvek (or other breathable membranes) is to counterbatten on the outside and install the tyvek taut then i should be able to push insulation all the way up to the membrane between the rafters and finish under the rafters with foil backed insulated plasterboard. This way i have an unventilated pitched roof and about 110-120mm PIR insulation which i believe is going to offer better u value than ventilated PIR and foil combination.

Is there a common practice on the reroofing, and is unventilated insulated pitched roof going to work in older properties?

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
If you design so as to prevent air getting into the roof structure and also remove any voids, thus removing the possiblity of air being able to condense on a cold surface within the roof structure, then you have removed the condensation risk and so don't need to ventilate. The problem is, many/some BCO's dont understand this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back