Re-roof - what slate?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am planning the re-roof of a house I just bought and I wondered if someone would please advise on what slate I should buy/use.

View media item 85067rear elevation

Cost is the important factor as it a needs a lot of other work and my budget is tight. So if a made Fibre Cement Slate is advised that is fine, but if it would be advantageous using something natural for a small additional cost that would also be OK.

Also, I am going to use a GRP Dry Fix Valley trough where the covering meets the neighbour on the right - does anyone recommend a particular one?

Thanks,

slimj

Sponsored Links
Re use the slate that comes off :rolleyes: as for using dry fix valley don't no where you could use that? Can't see a valley on that pic???

As above - but be there when the slates are removed, otherwise most roofers will rip and snap and smash as they lift the slates when its just as easy to prise the nails up and off and release the slate. Check the price on slate - be amazed. So dont allow what you have to be wasted.

Dont, if at all possible, ever use cement fibre slates.

You are re-using same size slate to meet the RH neighbour's roof so no "secret meeting trough" is needed, simply slate up to the neighbour's and weave your slate into theirs.

OP, there are various other issues to be seen in the pic so if you want further advice come back here.

Is the roof leaking. Why do you need to replace the roof. Can you not just repair the damaged areas. Clean and replace the guttering.

I do not like to use the fibre cement slates. They are cheap but can crack easily and will not last as long as welsh slates. They will also give moss bulid up.

You can re use the exiisting welsh slates and buy some more for the broken ones. Or you could go for the bigger size 20 x 10 but these could be about £2.20 each. The smaller size slates will take longer to install.
For the smaller 12 x 6 you will need about 2000 to 3000 x 30p each depending size of your roof.

A bonding gutter is used to join with neighbours property. This is only required if yours and neighbours slate are a diferent size or joining onto yours or neigbours tile roof. See a video link on "you tube" about bonding gutters.

Sponsored Links
I'm in a similar position of needing to reroof... multiple entry holes for insects and wot not. I actually want to reuse the slates because they're the originals off the roof (I'm not being tight, lol)

Is there any special cleaning required for slate tiles prior to being relaid?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back