Re-siting Potterton Prima 60B

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hope someone can give me advice?

I have the above listed boiler fitted in my kitchen but am just about to have major kitchen work done including building work and complete new kitchen. I was hoping to save money by refitting it but now having second thoughts after negative comments from my builder.

The new kitchen requires the boiler to be re-sited on the side-wall which adjoins neighbour (currently on end wall which is also outside wall at back of house), but builder concerned about age of boiler. Seems in great condition but I am thinking that maybe it is older than I first thought. Led to believe that it was about 7/8 years old but from looking at the Internet I think it could be 10 or more? Anyone know its potential age?

At first there was also concern about it being able to move position but later both builder and architect thought it was probably ok. I am now not so sure. Looks like it may need to be on end wall? Anyone know for sure if it can be switched?

Finally, it obviously isn't a condenser boiler so is this all academic? Will I need to fit one as building regs will require it to sign off? (A friend mentioned it was probable). I am looking at a false economy by trying to re-use it? I welcome your informed opinion!

Thanks to anyone who can advise.

Sponsored Links
You probably CAN move it ( the regulations and not conclusive.)

BUT is it worth it? That depends on the cost of installation!

A Worcester 18 Ri will be about £700 to buy and should cost no more to install than moving your Prima. You will then save about 20% on your gas bill !

Most people woul take the opportunity of reducing bills and CO2 emissions.

Tony

Hi, hope someone can give me advice?

I have the above listed boiler fitted in my kitchen but am just about to have major kitchen work done including building work and complete new kitchen. I was hoping to save money by refitting it but now having second thoughts after negative comments from my builder.

The new kitchen requires the boiler to be re-sited on the side-wall which adjoins neighbour (currently on end wall which is also outside wall at back of house), but builder concerned about age of boiler. Seems in great condition but I am thinking that maybe it is older than I first thought. Led to believe that it was about 7/8 years old but from looking at the Internet I think it could be 10 or more? Anyone know its potential age?

At first there was also concern about it being able to move position but later both builder and architect thought it was probably ok. I am now not so sure. Looks like it may need to be on end wall? Anyone know for sure if it can be switched?

Finally, it obviously isn't a condenser boiler so is this all academic? Will I need to fit one as building regs will require it to sign off? (A friend mentioned it was probable). I am looking at a false economy by trying to re-use it? I welcome your informed opinion!

Thanks to anyone who can advise.

Hi, Snow Monkey.
You are allowed to re-site an existing boiler within the same property, as long as it is done by competent installers, ie CORGI registered, and complies with all current building regs, and also the boiler manufacturers original installation instructions. Your 'new' installation will then also need to be notified to CORGI or your local Building Control dept, which would generally be done by your CORGI engineer.
Looking at your proposed site for the new boiler, if it is fitted on a wall that adjoins your neighbours property, the Flue terminal may then be too close to his boundary for current building regs.

Your boiler is probably around 10 years old, and my usual advice to customers is that if it is safe, and reliable, dont renew it till it breaks down, or you are feeling flush enough to go for a new one. However, in this case, I think that moving it may well be the start of other problems, and if you can budget for it, change to a new one while you have the other work going on.
Be aware that the intended position might also not be suitable for a new boiler installation, so ask your builder to check this with his CORGI man.

Thanks Agile. I was beginning to think that myself, irrespective of my green credentials and a desire to save money on fuel bills! It's probably very good advice.

From looking at a range of previous posts around the forum over the last half an hour I sense the moving is fraught with potential disaster and will not be cheap anyway!

I gather you have a good idea that the other model quoted will be a suitable replacement as all I need is a condenser system boiler (hot water tank is directly above in bedroom on first floor), and the Daryl shower on the second floor is fed by powerful 5 bar pump, so any other suggested models to look at before I take the plunge?

Many thanks, and Merry Christmas!

Sponsored Links
Few builders I come across have any CORGI registered people.

A very small number have a muppet CORGi who will give a CP12 instead!

Tony

Thanks Gasglider - very helpful.

Thanks again Agile - I will be very cautious about his credentials!

Out of interest, what is the distance needed for the outlet siting from the neighbour's property/party wall line? Can it go closer with permission from neighbour? Current plans got passed at planning and building regs recently and outlet was shown in current position but boiler is shown as having moved.

Cheers all.

Boiler flues now adays have far more flexibility regards positions avialable within the house ,If you are changing it get it out the NEW kitchen altogether and as close to your cylinder as possible this will also assist in saving money and reheat times..
Take the 20 percent savings with a pinch of salt although these are wildly claimed on a newish system like yours they are rarely reached

Thanks Gasglider - very helpful.

Thanks again Agile - I will be very cautious about his credentials!

Out of interest, what is the distance needed for the outlet siting from the neighbour's property/party wall line?
Can it go closer with permission from neighbour? Current plans got passed at planning and building regs recently and outlet was shown in current position but boiler is shown as having moved.

Cheers all.

Distance is Generally 600mm to boundary for natural draught balanced flue. For Condensers, the dimensions are pretty spurious, as different mfrs quote different distances, some quote no dimensions at all. Building regs seem to vary depending on where you live. Our local Building Control dept has given me different info both times I asked them !
However, the one thing you need to be sure of is that the Plume of steam from a Condensing boiler does not cause a nuisance to your neighbour. - You may be great friends with them, and they might give you permission, but it doesn't override Building Regs, and anyway, if your nighbour has a change of heart, or sells up, your new neighbour can complain and you might be forced to re-site the boiler.
I would definitely push the question of siting with your Local Authority, and make sure they are 100% with you on your positioning.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back