Re Skimming old plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I own a 1900 semi and am having the walls re-skimmed room by room and then painting them. Where the plaster has deteriorated I have removed it and inserted a sheet of plaster board. I then ask a plasterer to come round and re-skim the walls, which gives very good results.

The only problem is that when the plasterer came round last time to do the hallway and landing (All upstairs rooms have now been done) he said that reskimming old plaster will only give an extra 5 years of life. Is that true? As I am now considering knocking all the old plaster of the downstairs rooms (regardless of what state it is in) and boarding with plasterboard and then getting the plasterer to skim over that. But the problem with this is all the mess it causes!

Any advise on what I should do with the downstairs rooms would be much appreciated. (The house has no original features like cornices etc).

If it helps the old plaster is straight on brick work (not held on with wooden lathes) - all the walls are solid brick. The ceilings are with lathes.

Many thanks

Samantha

Sponsored Links
What did he say would happen in five years? Ive never heard that excuse before :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: . What he could mean is the undercoat has failed and its not worth skimming. How many years have you got left in the plaster you had reskimmed ;)

He said that the old plaster would continue decaying and within 5 years it would need replacing. The decaying he said is caused by central heating and double glazing. I dont think it is because the undercoat has failed as any areas where it has failed I knock out first and patch with plasterboard. The remaining areas are solid.

I was hoping we would have 25-30 years left in the plaster that has been re-skimmed.

Anyway please let me know what you think.

Thanks

Sam

If the background is sound it can be re-skimmed dont listen to this, ive never heard of central heating or double glazing effect the life of plaster :eek: . The same could be said about the paint,paper,furniture and so on. :LOL: Was it the same plasterer who done the rest?

Sponsored Links
Hi

Thanks for so much for replying. Now I know I dont have to worry about getting rid of every square inch of plaster downstairs :D

The guy we have in to do the plastering has so far only done the spare bedroom and is currently doing the hallway and landing. He seems to be good and his rate is reasonable, maybe he only said that so that he could get more work. We used a different plasterer for the main room and small room but was not happy with the job or the price.

Maybe we wont use the same guy again as I hate being lied to. But it is so difficult to find a good plasterer who you can rely on and won't over charge.

Thanks for getting back to me again.

Sam

He may not be lying :eek: A lot of plasterers aren`t the sharpest tools in the box.......It`s not an academic skill :eek: I am allowed to say this because my son is a spread and he`s not as bright as his dad who`s a plumber :LOL: Compare your spread to estate agents for a comparison of liars ;)

You are right on that one. Thanks for your help, you have saved me alot of money and work for this weekend! :D

Nige,

Most plumbers I've worked with are the ones who, shall we say, a little challenged on the IQ side. ;)

Must be all the fumes from soldering or contact with too much lead over the years!!!! ;)

No offence intended as I'm sure your comment on plasterers had no malice!!! ;) ;) ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back