Re-turf questions..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I’ve been using this excellent forum for a while now for various things. But now I have a specific question of my own….

A few months ago we got our back garden re-turfed. I’m fairly pleased with the result but the main problem seems to be the top half of the garden (highest point) the grass seems to grow quicker and greener than the bottom half. So, last night after a quick mow I decided to inspect with a few prods of the fork. At the very bottom of the garden where the grass doesn’t seem to grow at all I discovered a row of bricks about 2ft across and just 6” underneath the turf. In my “unprofessional” opinion this is stopping turf rooting correctly and grass growing, am I right? Question is, what should I do?

1. Dig up the turf, remove the bricks, add more soil then re-lay?
2. Leave as is and hope the roots take better over time and the grass starts to grow?

Also, the top half of my garden slopes where the bottom half is fairly flat. As mentioned, at the top half where it slopes the grass seems to grow quicker and thicker than the bottom. Does this haven’t anything with irrigation at the bottom half of the garden? And if so what’s the best way to fix this?

Thanks, Roper99

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back