Re-using oil boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are getting quotes to have the central heating system in our house replaced including relocation of the boiler. One company said we could use the existing boiler (worcester danesmoor 26/32) on the new system (going from conventional to unvented). The second company said that our existing boiler was good, would likely outlast any condensing boiler on the market but building regs stated he could not reuse if it was moved.

Can someone clarify if this is true, can you not relocate a non condensing boiler?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
With gas, as long as the new location is in the original footprint of the building and the flue is serviceable, then you're gravy.

Can't see why oil is any different.

Dan, thanks for the reply. The boiler would be in the original footprint of the house but a new flue would haver to be fitted, it is being moved 12m from one end to the other. Providing gas and oil come under the same regs is this still possible. I have read that all boilers have to be condensing A or B rated '(this one is non condensing C). As the system is being replaced, is the boiler classified as a 'new' installation and so subject to building regs. If so I read I would need an exemption form (not something I am likely to get).

It seems a stupid reg as the carbon wasted from the manufacture of a new boiler, that will not last as long, is probably far greater than keeping my slightly less carbon friendly existing boiler. Clever lot these politicians.

I think that this is one of the unclear aspects of Building Regulations.

When a new boiler is fitted then it must be condensing.

When a non condensing boiler is MOVED that is thought to be acceptable because it is not a new boiler.

But any boiler in a new building must be condensing. "New" building also means any building which was not there before like an extension.

So my interpretation would be that its acceptable.

BUT is the saving worth it when the reinstallation cost will be significant?

Sponsored Links
Agile, many thanks for the info. I presume the cost to install a new boiler and peripheries will be the same as an old one (unless I am missing something which is likely) so I would save on the cost of a boiler. The existing boiler may well last longer giving a saving and is only about 5% less efficient which over a year would cost me £50.

I would charge the same to install a used boiler as a new one.

But I am aware that some installers do charge less although I don't know why.

Since I would charge £840 to install a boiler then I would question if its good value not to have a new boiler.

But if you are getting it moved for say just £350 then I suppose it may be better to do that. But I would ask if they will fit a new one for the same price.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back