Real wood floor over bitumen/asphalt floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought some real wood (oak) to lay over the ground floor of my ex-Council house which was built in the 50's. Like a lot of houses of that age, the ground floor is bitumen/asphalt over a concrete screed. The bitumen is about 15-25 mm thick and, I believe, serves as moisture barrier as well as an 'appearance' finish. The bitumen floor is level but there are some small bumps here and there. My question is:
What is the best way to lay the real wood floor?
Can I lay the real wood floor on the top of he bitumen/asphalt?
Do I need a subfloor?
Shall I remove the bitumen/asphalt floor and replace it with concrete?
Do I need insulation?
So many questions, I know, but I would be very glad if you could help me.

Regards,

Luci

Sponsored Links
Luci, I'm not an expert but I did once lay a solid wood Junckers floor over a cement base and had no problems. A few points:

1. I don't think you need to get rid of the bitumen. Many old parquet wood floors were laid directly on top of bitumen so the substance itself is not a problem. However, modern wood flooring manufacturers usually stipulate that when laying wood over concrete you need to put down a moisture proof barrier sheet. See: http://www.completelyflooring.co.uk/pdf/junckersclipfittingguide.pdf

2. On top of the polythene moisture barrier, it's usual to put down insulation. This comes in rolls and you just cut to size.

3. You don't mention whether your new wood is a clip-system. That's what I used with the Junckers floor. If yours is not, then I'm not sure what the procedure would be. On wooden floors, you can use secret nailing or glue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back