reattaching UPVC window border...potential disaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The top border panel on the inside managed to come loose and started to sag a few months ago and was being held up only because the ends were wedged against the vertical border panels. I ignored it, but this week the draught was really starting to annoy me so I got some epoxy resin and sealant.

Mixed epoxy, applied epoxy on the inner surface of the top border and the concrete above, held it in place for 10 minutes, secured with some duct tape and popped out for the day. When I came back, I found the middle part of the panel gave way and was sagging again. To make matters worse, the epoxy had hardened and now it takes a fair bit of pressure to push the panel flush against the wall.

I am tempted to just drill the middle into the concrete now and put sealant around it. But before I do, any way of salvaging this?

Sponsored Links
You don't need resin. Just buy a wider trim and start again. Before you put the trim on first fill the gaps behind with a flexible filler then just use a silicone to glue the trim up. Prop it up with a bit of wood or something. The trim is there as a final cover not to stop the draught so fill it all up first then trim.

Sponsored Links
Wait, what.....it doesn't need glue/resin and sticks on with silicone sealant alone?! This is a game changer....

But how do I stop the trim from sagging while applying silicone if I haven't attached it to the concrete above somehow? Or will wedging it into the flexible filler be enough?

To enlarge on what Mw is saying. Remove the trim altogether and fill all possible draught gaps with flexible filler. When this gone off you must make sure the concrete to which you are fixing the new wider trim is dry and dust free, then apply the silicone in a zig-zag pattern to the back of the trim and push it into position and wedge it up with something until the silicone sets.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back