Recently installed double glazing gaps..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So the double glazing that was recently installed has some gaps around the frames and the wall.

Whats the best thing to use to fill these cracks?

Sponsored Links
if you are the installer please say so
we are trying to be helpful and the advice above is spot on if you have paid someone to do the job

of course if you have fitted them yourself you will get other help but will also need to pay building control to certify the installation if up to standard

Sponsored Links
if you are the installer please say so
we are trying to be helpful and the advice above is spot on if you have paid someone to do the job

of course if you have fitted them yourself you will need to pay building control to certify the installation if up to standard

So I believe my question was simple.

I'll be more precise.

Is it acceptable to use decorators caulk to fill 1 and 2mm cracks/gaps opened up around the double glazed window frame?

are they internal or external ??

gaps are unusual if the job was done correctly in the first place
do you have any pictures please

are they internal or external ??

gaps are unusual if the job was done correctly in the first place
do you have any pictures please

Sorry not just yet, but Anglian installed the windows, in two rooms there are gaps all the way around the window frame and leaks lot of air and in another room the double glazed door to the balcony is whistling :/

Back to the window frame in the original question, the gaps are internal, so I'd like to know if using decorators caulk is ok to fill these gaps.

yes thats fine
but if you have air flow i would suggest they haven't properly filled the voids fully between the new windows and the wall possibly causing cold spots??

yes thats fine
but if you have air flow i would suggest they haven't properly filled the voids fully between the new windows and the wall possibly causing cold spots??

In the other room is definitely worse, you can see cracks around the whole frame causing the room's temperature to be like it is outside (its an empty room atm).

The installation was about 7 months ago, how likely is it the company who installed it will come and resolve these issues?

can you prize back any trim easily in the coldest rooms to see if there's a good level off fill??
definatly get them back if theres draughts but heat the room for several days to see how it works out first

can you prize back any trim easily in the coldest rooms to see if there's a good level off fill??
definatly get them back if theres draughts but heat the room for several days to see how it works out first

Trim, doesnt really have much existing sealant if thats what you mean by trim.

Not sure if its worth calling the installer, they'll take forever to come and its not worth it.

So I'll just use some decorating sealant...? Or should I go to Anglian?

trim is added plastic/wooden moldings to cover gaps in the same way architrave around a door fills the gap between door frame and wall

trim is added plastic/wooden moldings to cover gaps in the same way architrave around a door fills the gap between door frame and wall

In that case theres no trim, on the inside at least.

EDIT: Ignore the prev comment. Here are some pics;

ufdc.jpg

iq2x.jpg

d0w8.jpg

rrqy.jpg

go08.jpg

The whole room has been plastered, yeah?? By the looks of it the fitters have left the tape on for that reason! As long as its sealed outside the plaster should go straight into the frame leaving no gaps! All that remains then is to Stanley round, pull tape off, clean frame, masking tape round, caulk, masking tape, paint, done!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back