Recess in breezeblock external wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Be grateful for advice on this.

Changed flush single plug socket to flush double socket, chiselling out/ extending the space for the double back plate and keeping the same recess as the original (25mm). However, getting the frontplate onto the backplate was a real squeeze: the wires (2live, 2 neutral, 2 earth from the mains, PLUS a spur to a fuse connection unit: so in total 3live, 3 neutral, 3 earth) seemed to push back hard against the front plate. It attached fine, but needed a lot of force. All the terminals were secure before I screwed on frontplate (when I tugged the wires, nothing moved), but I'm paranoid about the crowded space and the chance of something coming loose because of the squeeze.

My question: should I get a 35mm backplate and recess further? Don't know how deep I can really go on the wall: it's an external wall, breezeblock finished with plaster, and there's brick on the outside. Advice gratefully received.

Cheers

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back