Reclaimed slate advice...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just had reclaimed slate laid on a new extension, roofers coming back today (yikes!) to finish off. We are slightly concerned as there is a lot of uneveness, different thicknesses and beaten up edges (I presume this is normal with reclaimed materials?) but more worryingly, some of the slates are cracked. Should we raise this or will it be okay? Is that normal for reclaimed slate? Any advice gratefully received - and quick advice would be much appreciated. We'll only have the roofers here for another hour or so today. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Any cracked tiles will need to be removed; once water gets into them, and frost kicks in, they expand and break up without you knowing until you see dripping water running down your ceiling.

Thank you Crystalclear. We weren't sure and didn't want to flag it in case that was just par for the course. To be honest, I don't think they've been laid very well - we went for the cheapest quote and that was obviously a big mistake! They haven't put any of the roof light insulation in and the tiles all look a bit wrecked. But we're not knowledgeable enough to feel confident about complaining. Thanks for the advice - we will definitely point out the cracked tiles and ask for them to be replaced.

Sponsored Links
I had a builder round once way back when I had a wall built, only to find out that it wasn't straight. I took two pictures, printed them out, and showed them to him when he was there next; something about pictures and cowboys just don't go together; part of them thinks you're about to start something involving a small claims action at the local county court ;)

The more you shy away from these clowns the more they get the upper hand. Don't get upset, talk them to death, and stay calm, remember it's your house your money. Don't get them to fix it, get them to give you a small amount back to fix it 'yourself' ... Say you don't trust anyone to climb up there again! :)

moodle,

Be cautious about taking advice from someone who suggests that "you can get quality welsh slates for free" and then directs you to a site that plainly says "man-made-roofing-slates".

Any "roofer" that installs cracked slates either doesn't know how to roof or doesn't care.

If you post pics you will get more detailed advice.

Pics would be good. Using reclaimed natural slate can be trouble free . same rules apply as using new natural slate, grade them and check for damage.. set aside any that rattle..
If it was possible to get Welsh or any natural slate for free then there's loads of easy money to be made.. You might be lucky and get a sample slate or part of.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back