reclaimed stained glass roof light?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, this is my first post so please be gentle!

I have to admit that I like architectural salvage and using old items to compliment my building and decorating. This leads me to pose the question within this post about building regulations.

I already have initial consent from Solihull MBC for an extension to my house. I have had to have an EPC for energy efficiency due to the amount of glass which is present within the design (something to do with how much glass per square metres of floor?). Anyway, all that is done and dusted.

Part of the origin planning consent was for a roof light in the kitchen about 3.0m x 1.5m.

I have seen for sale a fabulous original roof light with stained glass and I thought wow, that would look great instead of a modern upvc sealed unit.

My plan was to use the glass and commission a new hard wood frame for the stained glass panes to sit in.

Question is; how can I use reclaimed stained glass and cover the issues around energy efficiency?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
You may be able to have the stained glass made into a triple glazed unit with the stain in the middle.
I have done it with normal windows but I'm not sure quite how it would work in a horizontal roof-light. Have a word with some double glazing company's/DGU manufacturers.

Get your EPC provider to work out the extra heat loss by having single-glazing instead of double-glazing, and then work out how much additional insulation could be put in the roof to compensate.

Or consider secondary glazing.

Aye secondary glazing or some kind of hybrid is in order.

Whilsts tony mentioned that some number crunching and consequential insulation thickness increases here and there could be done so that a single glazed rooflight will get the SAPs approved, I would be extremely wary of condensation, as would BC I suspect.

Sponsored Links
BTW, a rooflight that kinda size needn't look like a cheap and cheerful upvc jobby there's a whole wealth of great looking rooflights out there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back