reclaimed UPVC window unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok. sorry if this is in another entry somewhere.
I am installing a new window opening. The existing windows in the property are fine, although a bout 15 years old now. To avoid the cost of full replacement of them, and to let the additional window blend in, I picked up one from the salvage yard. Its a new window (the stickers were still on it), with a few surface scratches on the frame (from where its been stored) is this acceptible for building regs?

I dont want to nark them off!

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
My last extension was a mish-mash of reused frames and units. There was the odd new sealed unit too. The BCO didn't bat an eyelid and didn't even check the few stickers that were on display to check for low-e or whatever.

It might depend what side of bed they get out of though... I'd have thought worst case you'd have to show that the sealed units were up to spec thermally.

Gary

well i have no idea what the stickers said. there are numbers and letters (prob date of manu) actually inside the unit.

will they be able to look at those to see the info they want?

If the numbers and letters you refer to are on the spacer bar within the cavity of the dgu then these just denote the date of manufacture and which production line the spacer bar was made, not when the dgu was made or even the window.

The BCO will check whether the window complies with regs, ie low E glass, egress hinges if required, toughened glass if required, trickle vents if required and if he or she is really on the ball they'll check the size of the opener against the floor area for adequate ventilation, also general quality of fitting

Sponsored Links
its a 600mm wide full opener, with trickle vents, top opener, with locks, and nice leading on the top pane (i put that bit on myself) it was a bargain at £45

i didnt want a brilliant white new unit shining out from the front wall, so hence the salvage yard visit. I will fit it in the new opening myself. Im not a builder by any means, but I will give it a good go. i will tidy up and make good as I go. I have trawled the net to fid a current uk site with people who know what they are on about. I think i found it here.

Thanks for the answers and advice.

if you have cavities be aware that the BCO may pick up on thermal bridging around the windows so you'll need something like propriety cavity closers or equivalent.

thanks guys. from past "trials" of drilling through the wall for aerial cables etc, I have found that a long bit goes through fine. Due to the age of the house (1890-ish) I sway with the belief that it is a solid two layer brick wall, no cavity. I have posted some stuff in other posts on another forum thing!!

All said, BRs have said to submit one building notice, containing the "minor" (haha) works and the new window opening. The minor works would "sweep a lot of it up in one go!" as the BO said!

well hes in the know as they say!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back