Recommend a Very High Gloss Black Paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im wanting to paint my front door black, A bit like 10 downing street, But Im after a black paint that is very high gloss!!

Can anyone recommend one?

Sponsored Links
Can't recommend any particular gloss, but, as always, its down to preparation. The more attention you pay to detail and getting your surfaces absolutely flat the smoother the finish and consequently the shinier your door will look - stating the bleedin' obvious I know, but it works!

As has been said, it's not the paint but the prep and technique.

Sponsored Links
I have found over the years that many Black gloss paints are quite grey against others. Having tried most of them i have found that VALSPAR is probably the blackest black i have used. Not many people stock it now, i can get it in my town though. :D

I have found over the years that many Black gloss paints are quite grey against others. Having tried most of them i have found that VALSPAR is probably the blackest black i have used. Not many people stock it now, i can get it in my town though. :D

I thought that brand was discontinued years ago when it was taken over by Macpherson's :eek:

Thanks guys, thats what i was after

What would be the perfect preparation technique for a victorian door, currently painted a very dull red? Time isnt an issue (i'll have 6 weeks on and off to do the exterior doors and windows and a few jobs inside) although, I wouldnt really want to remove the door for security

Can someone give me a step by step, time no issue guide to getting the ultimate gloss black finish, Comparable with downing street?

does the summer sun fall on that door?

post a pic.

Dont know if you know but the door on Downing street is a steel door, partly why its so shiny. also bomb proof.

This door is probably bomb proof as well it must be 3inches thick, Sun falls on the door in the morning, Ill try and post a pic, but not great at working the camera.

Look for enamel paints...they might be glossier...but have to agree with the others, its the preparation you need to spend time on.

Wet and dry the dry with 240 the 320 grade..undercoat...wet and dry again...wet the ground around the door..it will help stop dust blowing up onto it..(try an pick a nice calm spring day) apply your first coat of gloss...give it a couple of weeks to harden up...............and repeat.

Remember to take all of the fittings off first and clean them before they go back

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back