Recommend an alarm for my metal shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some scumbag broke into our shed ,pinched my beloved road bike, mtb, winter bike, wifes bike and lots of tools. Because of this I have made some lock boxes and ground anchors. I have spent a small fortune on sold secure gold rated padlocks and chains. I am doing lots of work after the horse has bolted. I greatly regret not doing more sooner, but you never think it's going to happen to you. Lesson learned . I am now trying to do as much as possible to deter, physically stop, alert if broken into and insure if scumbag wins and gets my next pride and joy, I would like your help.

1. I would like to put an alarm system in my metal shed. I have electric to the shed and would prefer a mains powered unit. The shed is dry/waterproof but it is an outbuilding and does get damp .Could you recommend a unit?
2. I have been told I would need a twin unit PIR, microwave and IR . I'm not sure if there is to much movement in the door for magnetic contacts, I'm comparing this to the contacts in my house and not sure if you can get outdoor contacts with a greater switching distance.
3. I would like to transmit the state of the shed alarm to a zone on my house alarm. The shed is 2m away from the house with the house alarm panel in the loft. So the shed can be armed when we are in the house and also set off the house alarm when we leave. How , what would you recommend for this?
4. I have a veritas r8 in the house and would like to get it to call me via phone and or text if the house alarm goes off. I could then log into our cctv and see if it's a false alarm or a break in and phone the police . Do speech diallers need a land line or can I get one with mobile pay as you go sim . Texecom do a voice and text dialler but that looks like it needs a land line and I don't have a land line in the loft where my alarm panel is.
5. Are there any restrictions to how loud I'm allowed to have the bell box in the shed, I'd prefer something to kill the intruders but I'm not allowed to do that, but are there any bell boxes that induce nausea or something that would incapacitate the intruders.

Sorry because of the number of questions,
any help would be greatly appreciated,
many thanks in advance,
Simon

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure how well the dual tech will work in a metal shed - if the shed is small, the microwaves might just bounce around inside and cause FAs.

Your biggest problem is going to be the radio transmitter to the house. You'll need to find one with an external antenna (unless the roof is non-metallic).

To kill your intruders, fit a Master Blaster inside the shed... :D :eek: :evil:

Paulj48, these are very good, I have just welded a ground anchor into my mates. The problem I have is that there isn't enough room for all my bikes.

Cheers EightyTwo extra things to think about.

Thanks for the replies

Sponsored Links
As Eighty Two has mentioned the hardest thing is getting the wireless signal from the metal shed, if its all metal then you going to find this difficult

what shed have you got?

:idea: If the shed is only 2m from the house, you could run a cable. Put a tall post on the end of the shed and fly a cable to the loft of the house. Although it would be easy for Billy Burglar to cut, you'd still get a tamper signal and the alarm would still go off. Whilst not being an elegant solution, it would be cheap, reliable and robust. Use a polyethylene-sheathed or duct grade cable.

You could also do this by running ordinary cable (and the catenery wire?) through some metal flexible conduit. This would be a lot more expensive and hassle but would provide more protection. IMHO, if Billy has bolt croppers or a hacksaw, it won't make much difference!

As well as the alarm, consider PIR lighting and PIR chimes covering he outside of the shed and the approach. If you hear the chime you could look out and any intruder will be lit up before he's broken in.

I have a single bleep in the house each time my garage door is opened, even when the alarm is not set. I only pay attention if there is no-one outside who has a right to be there.

@82 hardwired probably the best and cheapest solution, after all you can get a lot of cable and conduit for the price of the wireless stuff he would need and no guarentees the wireless would work.

A tall post and cable to the loft is a brilliant idea. Thats what I'm going to do.

I have pir lighting all around the house but scumbag bike thieves came in broad daylight while we were in work.

What do we recommend for the actual alarm unit and nausea inducing sounder.(master blaster sounds nice and loud)

Will I have to get a land line in the loft for my veritas to phone me or can I get a pay as you go voice dialler?

Thanks for all the replies, please keep them coming,

Many thanks , Simon

Personally I'd ditch the veritas in the house and replace it with a Texecom premier.

It will allow you to have one system for your whole property, but allow independent arming of the house and the shed.

As it's one system, any detector in the house or shed would set off all the sounders, and contact your phone.

Definitely go with a dual technology detector outside. A master blaster will drive would be robbers out your shed, just make sure you don't accidentally set it off when you're in there. :eek:

You can get gsm diallers / texters, but it'll be cheaper to get the phone line extended to the loft.

RF Lighting, I like the idea of replacing the veritas with a premier as that means the panel is in the loft not a damp shed. Just a quick google gets me a premier elite 24 for £44.

Having a premier elite does that mean we can be in the house but the shed will be armed?

Will all my existing detectors and remote keypad work with the premier elite.

I have internet in the loft already so if I get a digi modem for the the premier elite can that text/call me via the internet.

If I run a multicore to the shed, i'm guessing that can carry the signal for my dual tec and also the supply for the master blaster. Isd this correct?

Many thanks in advance,
Simon

The Master Blaster is mains powered but 12V triggered. This means that you can trigger it from your panel using normal alarm cable.

However, running zone connections and alarm triggers in the same cable is usually not recommended (but it's got to be worth a try if you're not running conduit and multiple cables.

@Europlex - I've not seen uwave go through metal walls but have seen it wound up so far that it goes through office partitions and brick walls! :rolleyes:

The premier elite will work with your existing detectors but you will need to replace your keypad(s) with premier ones. This also gives you an opportunity to add proximity key fobs to your system for easy arming / disarming should you wish for a few extra £££s.

All you need to send to the shed is a single 4 core alarm cable connected to the network terminals in the panel. This will run the keypad which also acts as a mini panel allowing you to connect two detectors and two outputs to it which will be enough for a pir, door contact and a trigger for the master blaster. You can extend the network to a zone expander if you need more zones / outputs at a later date.

You can program the house and the shed as seperate areas which allows you to be in the house with the alarm off or part armed whilst the shed is armed and vice versa.

I believe you need the IP com for the panel to communicate via internet but I don't have any experience of this. The standard digi modem needs a phone line to communicate to the outside world.

Not sure how tech savvy you are but the premier takes a fair bit of programming to get it to do what you want and can be a bit daunting the first time. If you're installing and commissioning your self I'd definitely recommend you get the UDL connector and wintex software so you can program the system on your laptop as trying to do it all via a keypad is a right PITA.

There's a few good lads on here who can help you through the programming if you get stuck.

This is what I'm thinking of getting

1 X Texecom Premier 24-640 Zone Control Panel 8 zone
2 X Texecom Premier Surface Mounting Remote Keypads
1 X Premier Com2400 Plug On Digicom / 2400-baud modem with SMS text messaging. (PCOM2400)
1 X Master blaster sounder

I still need to get door contacts for shed door( I was going to get some roller shutter door ones as they look robust and sealed)

Can you recommend a dual tec microwave/pir or are they all pretty much the same.

I'll download the wintex software, get the udl connector what ever that is.

I plan to use a scaffolding pole and then some flexible copex conduit to get the cable from the shed to the house.

Have I missed anything?

Many thanks in advance,
Si

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back