Recommendations on how to fix this before painting..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

As you can see from the photo, I need to fix under each side of the bay prior to
painting.

What's the best way to approach and best filler to use? Should I have it skimmed?

The cracks are caused from the settlement of the uPVC windows installed 4 years ago (I think that's the case?)

Cheers
Mikeinthemidlands View media item 38337 [/b]

Sponsored Links
if you have found out and rectified what has caused the crack i would recommend just filling with a multipurpose filler. i tend to use mangers all purpose filler which you can get from johnstones trade centers. i would also apply 2 coats and sand smooth then re paint.

Im no expert only a fellow DIYer but I would use this stuff.

getimage.aspx

Gyproc Easyfill, Its in BandQ for under a tenner a bag.

It is used usually for jointing plasterboard with this stuff (jointing tape)

Fiberglass-Self-Adhesive-Mesh-Tape-Drywall-Joint-Tape-.jpg

The easy fill is easy to sand flat alot easier than pollyfiller. and its white so easy to paint over too. not sure if you need the tape over the crack. Ive filled a crack which was where an old front door has been bricked up and plastered and it worked a treat.

Rob

i too like easy fill but i have only found it in 10Kg bags. it is great stuff to work with though.

Sponsored Links
If the cracking is due to settlement my choice of filler would be Red Devil, where the crack appears hairline it would be a good idea to to rake it out a little to allow the filler a better bond, when done moisten the area with water and apply your filler. Fill slightly proud of the surface and when dry sand smooth and dust off, then apply a thinned emulsion to the areas prior to painting.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back