Record plane sharpen and set up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
looking for advices and tips on sharpen a 10 inch record wood plane
and resetting blade
any help would be appreited

Sponsored Links
Google is a wonderful tool, just enter 'plane blade sharpening' in the searchy box, loads of hit's.

Wotan

Sponsored Links
I must admit I stopped doing the "grinding angle and honing angle" bit long ago now. Nowadays I grind , usually on a belt sander, to give a slightly concave face and then hone to the same angle i.e. you can see where contact is made at the edge and top of the "slope".
I still use the same stone I've had for 25 years and use turps as a lubricant, keeps the stone cleaner I find.
One other thing to add is practice and then more, some of the young lads I work with will sharpen their chisels and end up with a finish I would have started with. I'm not being big headed here I was just as bad to begin with :)

gota agree i think its an art to get a rearly good egde on blades,if im in a rush it tends to go belly up,so i try to set asside an hour to do mine.that way in my mind there is now no rush,works for me any way.

You can get honing guides for DIY or do as the trade do - practice till perfect. When I was on the tools (now retired) we always stopped work at 2pm on Fridays to sharpen our saws and planes ready for next week, chisels were sharpened as needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back