Red Brick or Yellow Brick?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there much difference between the 2?
I have been quoted an extension based on yellow brick and been advised it will be fine to use and will look good as well.

I know most builds are with red bricks so what would be the real reason behind the red brick?

Sponsored Links
The colour of the bricks is not an issue, but the possibility of running foul of the planning regs is.
Standard bricks are fired of various ceramic materials, more of any red ceramic - red bricks and vice-versa. But Tell all, is the extention to be rendered Or bricks showing?? ...pinenot

in parts of London, a traditional yellow brick is based on Thames mud. It is quite soft. If your house is in such an area it might be chosen to fit in. Sometimes harder red bricks are used on the quoins and arches. Yellow stocks used to be cheap in London, I don't know if they still are.

Some pink bricks (often with an applied texture to the face) are very hard and sharp (though not frost-resistant) and quite ugly, so ask to see a sample of the bricks you are considering.

As it's for an extension, you want something that will blend in.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back