Reducing risk of Efflorescence in bricks (whitish brick appearance)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just having my brick facing extension built with Hanson Claydon multi red bricks (below image). How can I ensure that my bricks do not suffer from efflorescence (the whitish colouring of bricks), is there some liquid solution or something I can seal the bricks?

claydonredmulti.jpg

Sponsored Links
Store them in a dry place, and cover them up so they cannot fill up with water internally (in the frogs/holes) if it rains/at night. Efflorescence is the result of salts in the bricks dissolving in water trapped in the bricks as it slowly makes its way out, and having the frogs full of water is a lot of water to have to make its way out.

I caught my father doing an odd hing one morning with a length of microbore copper pipe in an s shape, one end in his mouth, the other in a brick frog. Turned out he was emptying the frogs of accumulated rainwater, sucking the water into the pipe then releasing it onto the floor

If you do end up wih efflorescence it should be relatively easy to deal with using a quick spray of brick acid and then a hose off once every few months until it stops. If it keeps coming, it's possible that rainwater is getting inside the wall, perhaps from a poorly pointed perp/bed or exceptionally porous brick

Last edited:
Leave the salts to dry out; eventually after a couple of wetting/drying seasons, they will go.

If you do end up wih efflorescence it should be relatively easy to deal with using a quick spray of brick acid

and then a hose off once every few months until it stops

Which will be for the rest of the OP's life using that method.

Water, porous masonry and dissolvable salts does not lend itself to a hose down every few months.

Sponsored Links
View media item 96055
Just to come back to this subject, I often see walls like this one.

The reason why this is going white is because they have not used DPC bricks on foundations and bottoms of the walls?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back